Welding two pipes together at an angle (coping tubes)

Interesting. Had a show years ago that would have used this for about everything. After that I stopped building out of pipe for the most part. Cool back pocket thing.

For large sonotube, I imagine you could just divide your numbers by 10, export to PDF, then scale it up 10x in AutoCAD.

For the record, I've used it already and it worked wonderfully! I'll add pictures after I get the rest of the set done. :)

our usual method for doing this is to just use a hole saw the size of the pipe you're welding to. jig up the pipe on the drill press and saw away. Though once you get up to and past 45 degrees it gets a little unwieldy depending on the length of the pieces...

I grew up around these patterns since my dad is a welder. He doesn't use them much these days since most of his work is large-scale natural gas transmission (so usually around 18-24" pipe), but he started in chilled water/mechanical systems and has always done little personal projects (porches, trailers, smokers/grills) where he used a lot of 1.5 and 2".

I believe he called them "saddles", or maybe the term was "saddling the pipe", I forget, but he still has a lot of these in different sizes. I know he's made some of his own but I've seen a lot of store-bought ones around as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back