westcoasting

MPowers

Seems like we have two threads going here. Re: The Leg Trick, don't know a name for it, but it was common practice when I broke into the business, a "week" or so ago.

Re: the Ballet Hung term. We had a recent thread on the SML about "westcoasting". Found several different definitions, depending on geographical location. I wonder if the "ballet hung" was a local term and perhaps not in wide spread use even then???

Michael Powers
Project Manager
ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: "Ballet Hung"?

Seems like we have two threads going here. Re: The Leg Trick, don't know a name for it, but it was common practice when I broke into the business, a "week" or so ago.

Re: the Ballet Hung term. We had a recent thread on the SML about "west coasting". Found several different definitions, depending on geographical location. I wonder if the "ballet hung" was a local term and perhaps not in wide spread use even then???

Michael Powers
Project Manager
ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc.

West coasting seems to be pretty universal in my expierence. I'd be curious to ehar the other definitions though.

West coasting seems to be pretty universal in my expierence. I'd be curious to ehar the other definitions though.
While some may have difficulty fathoming the concept of New Yorkers feeling superior over the rest of the country, one of "their" definitions of westcoasting is stuffing a drop into a hamper, rather than "properly" folding it.

EDIT:
proxy.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_of_the_World_from_9th_Avenue

At least Chicago and Las Vegas made it onto the map.

Last edited:

While some may have difficulty fathoming the concept of New Yorkers feeling superior over the rest of the country,

Derek, we NY'ers have no difficulty understanding this concept. As example: Las Vegas is just west of Jersey, correct ?.

(Grin)

And as totally OT, we need to ask Kyle and the Mrs. how they like their new Droid Incredible phones. I'm loving mine !.

SB

Well, up the Hudson river as we "capital region" folks are, west coasting is the same as it was in Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois. What the "downstaters" do is their thing. I am technically on the west side of the Hudson, so we could be doing it wrong. At my wife's space they are about a 1/2 mile on the other west side of the Hudson, so they might do it right there because at least they could smell the "good" side of the state!

....and I love my phone....

I've heard "west coast" used for two, totally unrelated things:

1. When bringing a drop in, have a number of hands stand under the drop and cradle it into their arms so it would sort of accordion fold. Then the drop was untied from the batten and rolled or folded into the hamper.

2. To "west coast" means to pack equipment sloppily so as to shorten the time spent loading out. This was usually done more for "one-offs" or the last tour date when the equipment was being returned to the shop. Sometimes, cables would even be thrown on top of cases just to get it out faster. Never heard this usage on a theatrical show. It is more common with rock n roll or corporate gigs.

I've heard "west coast" used for two, totally unrelated things:

1. When bringing a drop in, ...

2. ... or the last tour date when the equipment was being returned to the shop. ...
I think I first heard the term in the mid '80s in Chicago used by techs from Des Moines Ballet (thus my neutrality).

Explanations/rationalizations/origins I've heard (both of which relate to New Yorkers' fallacy of superiority):
1. Theatres on the west coast had lower fly towers, supposedly due to frequency of earthquakes.
2. Since tours primarily moved from east to west, the last stop would usually be on the west coast.

I've usually heard it to mean bundling a drop up to a batten to get it out of the way--preferably by wrapping it in a piece of canvas or duv with webbing and ties on both sides, but lengths of tieline every four feet or so will work in a pinch.

My experience with the term "Westcoasting", started when I was on tour with "The Saint Petersburg Ballet on Ice". Scrims and drops that were painted on light weight "China silk" would be lowered onto the shoulders of the entire crew. Then every third or fourth tie would be wrapped around the bundled drop and tied. Then while the crew held it in their arms, like a long snake, a hamper would be pulled along under the drop and it would be wound into the hamper. This was done to keep it off the ice so that it would be dry when hampered.
The American touring TD would refer to the procedure as "Westcoasting". This happened in his 24 th year of being a touring TD. I was with them for five seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back