What are some flashy light effects not for a chior concert?

re: flashy lights and cool effects with an ETC express

tons...

record loops (cues set to link to each other in quick sequence)

this is a personal lighting choice but i like to go with primary colors and insturments EVERYWHERE!!

Try to add to a simple set with dramatic angles - ie: point a par at about 60 degrees to a chain link fence, put a red gel on it and call it awesome.

Also, thought it takes a while to program, you could always run almost any intelligent light fixture using the board. It comes with several pre-programed in under [setup] -> [15 - moving fixtures]
the above would only be if you had a small budget to rent...heh...and if you were to rent some, make sure to get plenty of DMX cable!!

hope that's something to start with...

there are tons of flashy effects that you can do, but keep in mind that for a chior concert people generally just want to see their kids, so a general wash works the best. if you have a cyc you can do some interesting effects on that, but for chior concerts its best to keep it simple.

yeah with choir concerts, I agree. if you want to go all out, a choir concert isn't exactly appropriate. Plus, if the concert is being recorded, the noise from moving lights might affect that.

also, i don't usually consider intel's basic lighting equipment for a school, assuming that's what it is

the original subject said "not for a choir concert" so i would guess that it is for some other event...specifics would be nice...but well, i agree, if this were for a choir concert - which it's apparantly not - a wash is always the best way to go...maybe some cool transitions between primary colors on a cyc too if it's an option

I was confused by the title too. There are alot of events that are "not choir concerts" lol. Yeah I agree with cyc's. One mistake I made once when I was in high school was projecting some nice pine tree gobos gelled in green overlayed with a mountain gobo left clear during an orchestra
Christmas concert. The problem was that for the rest of the year, all of the other departments wanted me to start Designing themes for them rather than simply running lights and sound. So its definitely good to be careful and don't let them catch on to your full potential. They might start using you're artistic ability with no extra pay. Also, we would never use our "cool toys" such as intels. If we did, everyone would want them in their show, and since the theatre dept. had purchased them, we were allowed to be greedy.

I would call the local lighting rental or dj supply company and ask if you can rent some stuff like Martin Mania, moonflowers, Avenger, Vertigo, and other similar effects. You can try and get a switchpack (these do NOT go into dimmer packs) to control them on and off. When on, they will move to the music. Rent enough, put them in good positions, and you'll have a good, cheap show. Plus, your programming won't be as time consuming, and you won't have as big an expense (based on what we rent similar products for).

Let's see: I love star strobes, using a bunch in front of a teaser or just littered around the venue creates a dazzling effect. Chases are also fun, along with subroutines. I would go for several different types of breakups, this combined with a 3 or 4 color wash allows you to create a variety of moods.

According to Law (both state and federal in most cases) if you have strobe lights in use a notice must be posted at each entrance without fail, if they are not posted the facility can be held liabile if an epileptic has a seizure and also be subject to fines!! which means your arse will be in a sling or possibly fired.

you might want to be safe about smoke machines too. I'm not sure if it's a law anywhere, but we generally try to be on the safe side and post a warning especialy about sitting in the front and very upper seats where the smoke tends to end up, asking people with bad ahasama or breathing condtions to not sit there.

i would highly suggest a chemical fogger as most (i believe all but am not sure) chemical solutions are water based. This is still a slight issue for ahasmatics but not nearly as bad. Also, BE SURE TO CHECK FIRE CODES regarding foggers, smoke machines, and hazers. Our school went through i huge debate recently about the use of the above listed devices due to a film some leave on smoke detectors. Check first - Have a great show later!

Peter said:
you might want to be safe about smoke machines too. I'm not sure if it's a law anywhere, but we generally try to be on the safe side and post a warning especialy about sitting in the front and very upper seats where the smoke tends to end up, asking people with bad ahasama or breathing condtions to not sit there.

That is more of a common courtesy thing, making someone have an asthma atttack is not cool!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back