What are your Nomad Setups like?

CBR372

So I am looking into a nomad setup for a mix use space in University Student Union Building(Ballrooms, Live shows, etc...). None of my students are particularly tech students so I was looking at getting a setup with nomad involving a touch screen and some magic sheets so they could quickly build looks.

I was wondering if anyone else is using nomad as a primary desk and what kind of interface you are using (Touchscreen with a Puck? Mac with an x-keys, Windows laptop w/o touchscreen, etc...) Also am I correct that the only way to get DMX out is either with a Gadget via USB or a sACN Node?

Let me know! Thanks!

We only use Nomad as a designer remote setup, with client dongles, but no outputs and do not use touch screens on a Nomad remote, but have dual TS's on both our Ions.

A useful addition to what you are wanting to setu is any of the X-Keys devices. The 60 or 80 key units do well to replicate an Ion face panel. Having dedicated buttons will save you a ton of time as opposed to needing to create a lot of Magic Sheets to do the same thing. Xkeys.com

You are also correct that the only method to get DMX anywhere is with a Gadget or an Ethernet node that talks sACN, but note that companies other then ETC make such nodes.

I have used Nomad as client and server in a Cobalt system.
I have used the Cobalt programming wing that has 2 DMX outputs. I could also use one of my ETCNet3 gateways.
I have a programming wing and universal 2X20 wing and dual touch screen monitors.
When I will use the Nomad in an EOS environment, I will use an X-Keys 60 to mimic the keyboard controls. Just consider that you may also want a USB hub. I run out of USB connections very quickly with my Nomad Puck.
Take care,
John

My Nomad system includes a laptop, 19" monitor, keypad, joystick (for moving lights), a DMXKing eDMX1, and a USB-powered LED work light.

I've been thinking about printing some custom stickers and putting them on an old USB keyboard, but at this point I don't personally need it, so it's a low-priority item.

My nomad is a laptop running Windows 10, a DMXKing eDMX4, a powered USB hub with Gadget, dongle, and backup thumb drive.

I'm working on an OSC motorized fader wing but it's not ready for prime time yet. The current obstacle is cutting the face panel to mount the faders.

Eventually it will look like this:

Currently it looks like this:

Attachments

• Hobo.PNG
    Hobo.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 944
  • IMG_0780-2.JPG
    IMG_0780-2.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 850
... The current obstacle is cutting the face panel to mount the faders.
Cutting? Did you mean "getting..."?

"Mount the faders"--perhaps if the faders were more attractive?:oops: This is (supposed to be) a family-friendly forum; there must be a gentler way of expressing that thought.

I work with high schools in my area and provide a console for a couple of them. My Nomad (Eos) setup is a dell latitude i5 laptop, an elation EZ kling, a airport express, a 23" touchscreen monitor, and a preHkeytec programmable keyboard. Also you are incorrect about output. The EZ kling receives Artnet and outputs dmx, any artnet node will work. I reccomend 2 things first, get the programmable keyboard, it keeps the comfortable syntax (channel at). Second, get a touchscreen I have used it with and without and the touchscreen is much easier for inexperienced people to use the console. I have about $700 invested in my setup. I generally purchase used so I only paid $30 for the programmable keyboard and $100 for the touchscreen.

Nope, I mean cutting. On my list is taking my 26cm x 26cm x 1.6mm panel and cutting the slots, holes, and rectangular openings.

I think the faders are pretty sexy as they are.
proxy.php

Attachments

• IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 412
My nomad is a laptop running Windows 10, a DMXKing eDMX4, a powered USB hub with Gadget, dongle, and backup thumb drive.

I'm working on an OSC motorized fader wing but it's not ready for prime time yet. The current obstacle is cutting the face panel to mount the faders.

Eventually it will look like this:

Currently it looks like this:

Hi Dad; Depending upon your pending "face panel's" material, you might consider cutting slots using a router, clamped straight edges & travel stops and an eighth", dual flute, carbide router bit. Back in the seventies I got away with cutting an eighth" thick aluminum panel with this technique. I used a stick of bees wax as a lubricant and had to watch like a hawk for bit clogging.
All the best.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back