What CAD tool do you use for designing shows?

What CAD tool do you use to design your shows?

• AutoCAD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VectorWorks

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • WYSIWYG

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Raktor

What CAD tool do you prefer to use for designing shows?

Name any others that you use.
Thought this would be of interest to the community, and I want to know which program I should spend the most extensive amount of time learning.

If you use multiple tools, select the one that you prefer to use.

Last edited:
I use them all, but mostly I just have been using vectorworks...I wasn't sure which to vote though, because overall I'ev used wyg the most, but I prefer aCAD and I use regularly vectorworks.

As a lighting designer, I use vectorworks spotlight. AutoCAD is a little to powerful for what I need, plus I have to boot my computer into the PC side, which I hate doing (even though I need to for hogPC, ah well).

WYSIWYG is a cool previz tool, but I've never felt the need to use it. Using VW I am able to hang a light 20 feet off the ground, focus it to focus point A, and see what my beam-spread will be. I've never bothered to learn how to render in VW, and again, I've never felt the need to.

So, yea, Vectorworks is my tool of choice.

Didn't we have almost the exact same poll about a month ago?

Indeed we did right here.

This is why god gave us the SEARCH tool!

None of the above. I'm all about pencil and paper free-for-all.

Ummm, you are allowed to use the search button, right at the top of the page. We forgive you, but if you really want results, you should just bump up the old thread. There is also a button you can hit when you start a new thread that will search for similar threads. No worries though, you'll get the hang of it.

BTW, I am a vectorworks person.

I am a Vectorworks user - especially since those in the educational theatre industry can get a free 1year licence right from Nemetschek. The new 2008 version is very userfriendly for those that are skeptical abou tchanging over. I have found that VW is plenty powerful for everything we do in the theatre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back