what COLOR projection screen?

flyweed

Hey folks. So we are plunging into the wonderful world of "projection backdrops" for our HS Musicals, shows, etc. We just did a trial run with Disney's Frozen Jr. and loved that we could project ALL backdrops onto one "drop" and that the drops were "animated" which was very cool

Anyway...what we'd like to do now, is make our "projection screen" (old light blue sky cyc) more "reflective". We just bought a new "cyc" for our lighting system, so we can use the old sky cyc any way we see fit.

My main question is..I've read good and bad about "paint" products like Behr's "Silver screen" and such. So should we try and paint our old cyc white, so it's got better reflectivity, and less light pass through? Or would we be better off to paint it black, so we see richer deeper colors and have more contrast? or maybe both, paint the back side black and the front side white?

Any thoughts on this idea??

Thanks

I second something like screen goo. Painting the back black will certainly help with light bleeding through, it won't help (much) with contrast. Look at the high contrast screen goo to help with that.

The first question is, how old is the cyc? Applying anything to something that is old and dry rotted will probably lead to disappointment.

Geoff

Geoff..you are a bit late "to the party"..... the the cyc was old, not ancient...so no dry rot or anything like that. We took it down, tacked it to the floor, and painted the front of it with "screen goo" and it works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back