What Connector Is This?

Stevens R. Miller

On the back of an audio output device, I see a pair of female RCA connectors. Next to them are, in a single green plastic block, two sets of three pins. I am guessing (and I am only guessing) these are balanced-line outputs. But my Google-fu cannot find anything that looks like them, much less like it would connect with them. To the best of my graphic-arts abilities, here's (something akin to) what it looks like:

AudioOut.jpg

Does anyone know what this thing is called?

Try phoenix (not sure on spelling) connectors, they are used on sound processors as well as for many A/V devices in classrooms/board rooms/conference rooms.

That's good to know. I never knew what those were called despite having used them many times before. They are intended for more permanent connections. It would be good if someone created a wiki entry for that.

I will give that a try. One of my colleagues said they had tried one, but it didn't fit (I wasn't there for the experiment). Maybe they were just unfamiliar with it and we need to try again. My recollection is that the pins were closer together than the jack allows for on a Phoenix, but there's no reason why that shouldn't be the type of connector in that particular place.

Thanks!

Phoenix Connector is a brand whose name has become a type of product. They make hundreds of formats and only rarely have I had one cross products. The green color is key identifier of the brand, but I've seen similar in black and gray. Wikipedia calls it a Euroblock or "pluggable terminal block."

Phoenix Connector is a brand whose name has become a type of product. They make hundreds of formats and only rarely have I had one cross products. The green color is key identifier of the brand, but I've seen similar in black and gray. Wikipedia calls it a Euroblock or "pluggable terminal block."

This is absolutely correct. You will find these connectors typically listed as "Pheonix" connectors owing to brand recognition. You can find just the terminal blocks for sale or various adapters already prepared, such as:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_978PHX...16345&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=64103409745&awdv=c

I've found the pin spacing for non-amped audio applications to be 5mm (referred to as 'pitch'). Check the pitch of your connector to find the right terminal block.

I've found the pin spacing for non-amped audio applications to be 5mm (referred to as 'pitch'). Check the pitch of your connector to find the right terminal block.

Will do. I had to draw it from memory, and my memory is telling me the pins were closer together than 5mm. But I can't think of any good reason to use a non-standard or obscure option when there is a perfectly good standard option available. Most likely, I'm just remembering it wrong.

Thanks for the help, all.

Phoenix connectors come in multiple pin spacings;
Off the top of my head:
3.81mm
5.00mm
5.08mm
7.62mm

And then occasionally you get an odder one again - thanks Crestron for the speaker outputs on a DMPS being a connector that doesn't seem to be used for much else...

Agreed with everyone else... Euroblock or Phoenix connector... and I've never seen two compatible with each other, even when they come on the same piece of equipment five years apart.... had that happen on some replacement DSPs a few years ago...

The most common pitch for Phoenix 3 pin connectors in audio is 5.00 and 5.08mm, try one of each.

The ones in the B&H link are 5.00mm even though it's not listed (that I see...). Bought a ton of those right from B&H recently.

Here I'd say element14 or RS.
I think the equivalent is somewhere like Mouser, who list them under
All Products > Connectors > Terminal Blocks > Pluggable Terminal Blocks
Then select plugs and 3.81mm pitch, and 3 pole.
More options than you ever wanted...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back