What console is this?

Does anyone know what console this is? I know it is a Colortran, but that is the most information I can get from it. This is my house lighting control system and it finally tanked today. I am searching for solutions to get me through until a more permanent solution can be made.

Hi Luke:

Good Afternoon.

I could be wrong but that looks as if it is a custom fabrication.

There are a number of good people on this forum who should be able to help you, but for anyone to come up with a recommendation as to what to do next, it will be important to understand what sort of control protocol runs from this "console" to the dimmers and relays that it is (well, was actually) controlling. Is it Analog? CMX? D192? DMX512 (doubtful, I think).

Are there any of the system drawings for this project lying around in a file cabinet anywhere? At one time, most projects like this would have required that a set of technical binders be handed over to the Owner post commissioning. You might want to consider reaching out to Crosslight ( http://www.crosslightinc.com/index.html ) as their Principal - Rob Cross - was at one time the Colortran factory representative for your part of the world. They might have a folder on this facility.

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel
Director Business Development

The case is very similar to Colortran's Prestige and Scenemaster lines of the mid-80s. In addition to the advice above, I'd contact Lite-Trol for repair. I suspect it's connected to D192 dimmers if they haven't been replaced.

Does anyone know what console this is? I know it is a Colortran, but that is the most information I can get from it. This is my house lighting control system and it finally tanked today. I am searching for solutions to get me through until a more permanent solution can be made.

Certainly call Steve Short at Lite-trol, he's one of the more knowledgable folks about vintage Colortran stuff and has a warehouse full of parts.

Heads up though that this does indeed look like a custom one-off and based on the button labeling is likely connected to another one-off relay box of some sorts that allows the take control functions and assorted on/off functions. IF you are really lucky, the control signal interface is D192 or CMX Colortran protocol, though unlikely given the age to be DMX. If D192/CMX you can possibly hodgepodge a replacement control for it.

I suspect though that this might be a costly replacement, especially if the relay end of things needs updating or replacing as well.

Lite-trol is 516 681 5288

I have recently replaced a very similar Colortran custom houselight controller that was used with their ENR dimmer racks. Do you have the ENR or the D192 dimmers? Mine was using the analog houselight inputs on the ENR rack. There are some intricacies involved, as those inputs may or may not be mapped to CMX/DMX addresses in the rack depending on how originally configured.There are also provisions for "houselight transfer" and "panic" inputs on the rack. Steve Short at Lite-trol was a great source of info on my project. He's your guy for sure.

Thank you everyone for your great input. I agree that this was a custom build console. I have a rep coming in to look at the setup next week. I am fairly certain that this is actually analogue and then the replacement should be simple with a a-d converter. (I hope)

Is this unit the only controller plugged into the dimmer rack? If not, what would you be plugging the digital signal from the converter into if your primary console is plugged into the dimmer rack? I don't think this will be as easy as you envision, but it will be nice if it is! Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back