Wireless What do I use when cleaning mics?

Harmz

I'm trying to find something that will clean off the adhesive off of the wireless mic cables from face tape. I have tried alcohol swabs which do alright but they still leave some sticky residue. Anybody know what works? What doesn't?

I avoid audio as much as humanly possible, but I've heard that a dab of olive oil on a rag will work wonders on those skinny cables. Not the capsule, of course.

Goo-be-gone or Goo-off

I'm trying to find something that will clean off the adhesive off of the wireless mic cables from face tape. I have tried alcohol swabs which do alright but they still leave some sticky residue. Anybody know what works? What doesn't?

I thought we had a thread specifically devoted to removing adhesive residue from cable, but I can't find it.:(

One wants to use the gentlest, least-toxic substance that will do the job. This could range from olive oil, vegetable oil, peanut butter, to rubbing alcohol, citrus-based cleaners, WD-40, Armor All, to petroleum jelly, mineral spirits, acetone (fingernail polish remover), to naphtha (lighter fluid, Goo-Gone), toluene (actually any of the -enes, including kerosene and gasoline).

One of my favorites is Liquid Nails Remover, as it is a gel and comes in a toothpaste-type tube. [EDIT: Uh-oh, seems to have been discontinued. Probably because it didn't work; I've never used it to remove LiquidNails, and suspect it's essentially petroleum jelly in a tube.]

Be sure that whatever solvent you choose won't damage the cable, and use all appropriate PPE. Always work in a well-ventilated area!

Last edited:
I recommend Goo Gone. I have been using it for years, and it works great, with out a detrimental effect on the mic elements themselves. Good Off works well too, but it has a much more toxic smell.

~Dave

My boss bought some stuff from Smith & Nephew. Its skin prep and adhesive cleaner. Seems to work great but thats the only use I can find for it.

I recommend Goo Gone. I have been using it for years, and it works great, with out a detrimental effect on the mic elements themselves. Good Off works well too, but it has a much more toxic smell.

~Dave

Several Bottles are in our booth, I also recommend Goo Gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back