What do techies do when not working?

TalBrite

I'd have originally said they didn't have time for anything else, but it's amazing how much time I've found that other techies spend here, and the time I've suddenly been able to free up to be here, stretching my legs into the Control Booth community and loving it so far. :mrgreen:

Hi. I'm new. Nice to meet you. ;) I've got a couple years of stage management and props experience, and I'm eager to learn from those who've been through a lot more than I have.

I've got a cushy desk job < yeah right > So I'm always able to take a look here 3-4 times a day. 'Course at night I just ignore my kids and wife so I can spend time here :mrgreen:
Welcome aboard !

Luckily for me the school hasn't blocked this website (yet), so I just pop in now and then during the day. Of course, I'm always on the internet anyway, so I may as well be here (instead of MySpace or something...)

Welcome!

Well I can think of a few things that I do while not working, but I tend to not talk about them here...

First of all let me ditto Van and say Welcome.

Second, sleeping and eating tend to to factor reasonably high on the things to do while not working list, as does dropping by Controlbooth rather regularly...

Right now, I'm mid build so the only stuff I have time for is eating and sleeping between the hours of 11pm and 8am. Typically though, I spend time with family, watch movies, read, study up on the latest gear and techniques related to my field.

I mess with my computers(programming, server, hardware, anything fun), play magic the gathering, or play chess. Oh and for kicks, yes I play DnD on occasion....

What to do when not working? Try to convince people that a "techie" is an amateur and a demeaning term, and then call the union hall looking for a gig with other pro stagehands.

Look for cool new things at Home Depot.
Make up purchase orders, draft plans, research for next show....Oh, you said when not working...wait I don't know what that is.

Since I own the business (such as it is) I'm never not working. If the phone rings I answer it. If I get an idea, or if there's something to be done, I do it. But at the same time, I work from home so the cooking, the cleaning, etc., are also there and I don't really have a set schedule. But if that's all done, then it's EPL, UEFA, MLS, or a dvd of an HBO or other cable show.

Not working? Hmmm...I've heard of that from somewhere....:grin:

Yeah, you know, that part when you close your eyes for 5 minutes. That's called "Time-Off" or "Not Working"

:mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back