Votes: 36 28.8%
  • Theatre Practitioner

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Actor

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 30 24.0%

• Total voters
If I had to pick just one, I'd say Techie. I've done most every job that can be done on a running crew, so this just seems to be a term general enough to cover it all. It's also what I'm known as by the rest of the school, so I've got no problem considering myself one.

An old subject, but an interesting one in this application. I believe that all states have legal constraints on the use of the terms "Engineer" and "engineering" when it comes to building and systems design and construction, especially anything that potentially has to do with the health, safety and welfare of the general public. And the usage has nothing to do directly with a degree, it has to do with being a licensed and registered Professional Engineer (PE) in the related discipline, which is done on a state-by-state basis. Calling yourself an Engineer or offering engineering services in such applications not only opens you up to legal charges of practicing without a license, it also implies a degree of liability that you would probably prefer to avoid.

However, some states do allow the use of the term Engineer in relation to building and systems operations, here in Georgia the law specifically provides just such an exemption for systems and facility operators. While you definitely need to verify the specific laws for the state you are in, as an operator you may be able use the title Engineer but if you provide any services related to the design or construction of a theatre or the tech systems, then you would probably not want to use that title.

What is ironic in this is that with an Engineering degree, a PE and Professional Liability insurance, I actually avoid using the terms "Engineer" and "engineering", especially in relation to any building or systems design or construction, as I recognize the implications in doing so.

My feeling as well, however just like you stated, Georgia does have that law. In Cobb County Schools each building has a "building engineer".... He's the person that changes the light bulbs and keeps the boiler running.

My brother is an Industrial Engineer and my father is a IBEW Master Electrician, so those are two titles that I don't use for my own work.

I'm in high school, so I'm basically all of the above, except for actor. Not my thing.

As for techie vs. technician, I really don't mind either way.

WeI'm a Director, so that means (at least to me) that I have my fingers in every pot. I don't command everything, as I like to let people use their own creativity rather than depend on me. But I feel the need to know and be aware of what's going on. And that means I need to be familiar with everything. I'm just sayin......:grin:

as i have said on other threads, i really dislike the word "techie"

I'm with you, on that one. Especially when it's be soon-to-be mother-in-law that's using the phrase, not that she does it intentionally, she still works with my old highschool's program a lot and hears/uses it all the time. But that word, I just can't stand it.

Ah, yes, the multiple answer poll. Where the Percentages add up to more than 100%. Fear us, for we are more than one person!!! Call us techies and you won't know what hit you.

Where's the Stage Manager option?! I'd consider myself an SM these days, although I still moonlight as a lighting tech periodically - I came to stage management from a technical background.

"I like to overall consider myself somewhat of an engineer in the world of production. Audio, lighting, video: I like to know how things work and how to make things work (and how to fix them). Several people call me the "Make It Work" guy, or some variation on that."

Sounds like me i can fix alot in an aud.....so far the only thing i haven't managed to fix a pro couldn't figure out(i'm a sophmore in hs).

I call myself a techie and i think it belongs in the poll......i'm not a technician because i've never had any classes on the subject

Upon further reflection, within reason, I'll be whatever someone wants to write on the paperwork that comes with my cheque or EFT.:mrgreen:

Upon further reflection, within reason, I'll be whatever someone wants to write on the paperwork that comes with my cheque or EFT.:mrgreen:

I agree. Being in High School, I am called a techie. Not technician, not designer (even though I have done sound, light, and video design), but techie. It doesn't bother me but in the end if my boss wants to call me a technician, or designer or anything else for that matter, I will be fine with it... Just as long as he keeps on signing those checks!

The term "technician is just more professional, "techie" sounds very childish, I've just never really liked the term. (This is coming from a high school student.)

I fill a lot of different titles from day-to-day. Some days I'm a technician or stagehand via overhire, other days a lighting designer, sound designer, or systems designer. Presently I'm focused primarily on being a systems designer and consultant though for a local theatre looking to get an electrical upgrade throughout their entire building.

Ah, the joys of being an educator in a small program! I'm the producer, director, designer, technical director, and even performer some times. Last night was our first night with a band for the musical, so I was also conductor.

Oh, and I teach 6 classes a day!
Not to mention the stuff I do at the community theatre...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back