What do you do when a director wants to be in the booth?

I have had mixed experiences with directors sitting in the booth for productions. I have had a director who sat with us and told us what a wonderful job we were doing. I have also had a director who decided that a stage manager does not call cues... She sat next to me on the board, physically got in the way, and wanted to change almost every cue during the run. Yes there is a time and place to have the director in the booth, but when you have a TD that trusts the crew 100% you need to let the crew do what the know how to do.

I had a variety of HS directors, never had one that had a clue about tech. I only had one that thought she needed to be in the booth. I was 19 and helping a friend out with her show. I was using a very primative memory board and it dumped it's memory. While I trying to figure out how to get light on stage she kept telling me to do something. That was the end of her in the booth. I wasn't a student so I told her find another home.

Our director is a teacher in the school, so regardless of what they are doing I need to bite my tongue. If I am rude to them, it screws me over in the long run if I have one as a teacher in the future.

The original topic was about Directors in the booth and reading some of the recent posts it sounds as though the discussion is moving more into the topic of the division, or lack thereof, between the "Teacher" and "Director" roles when one person performs both. That is a very good topic for discussion and I encourage that, however maybe it should be a separate topic with this one, which started over 7 years ago and is getting quite long, limited to addressing the Director role. In fact I'll go start a new topic for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back