what do you guys prefer tool box or tool bag.

Which do you prefer ? tool box or tool bag

• Total voters

BISON

Just looking for some opinions on tool boxes or tool bags. I have been using a craftsman tool bag as my secondary tool bag for a while now. The problem is that I am always digging for stuff and it doesn't provide any protection for meters or other fragile test equiptment. Let me know if anyone has any recomendations for a functional tough tool box.

Boxes just aren't my bag, baby.

But all Austin Powers jokes aside, I like the soft, loving feel of a bag.

I prefer a tool box for the fact that it offers protection and as mine is a briefcase style one, I have an insert into which most of the tools fit. It is custom built by a road case company and has lockable butterfly locks. Great for loading up, locking up and throwing into the truck!

Neither, I have a work box. Looks like an amp rack from the outside, but has a hinged front cover that opens to reveal drawers. The drawers are all felt lined, and two of them are padded. Inside the door of the case is a small collapsing table in case I need it.

We also found a work box that has a refrigerator and a microwave on top of that. When we use it, which isn't often, it is the last thing loaded on the truck so when we arrive at the job site it is the first thing unloaded and plugged in.

Mostly we use it at summer fesitvals where we have to be on site for 2 - 3 days.

i prefer my gatemouth bag.

I have a work box it can hold my computer, harness, tools, and anything else i can cram in. the lid comes off and becomes the work table. Its great for on site drafting or as a console table.

Unfortunately well in university it just sits here in my apartment and mocks me.

proxy.php

JH

There is a nice concept. I like the use of the cover for a table. At one point I had to retrofit a road case for handeling a medium/small size electric stove/oven. Something about the talent liking to make pancakes on site. Refrigerators, microwaves, expresso machines and lots of other kitchens are popular and fairly wise to have available.

For me, a Road box and a three chest Craftsman mechanics tool box. After that, it depends upon what I'm taking with me. I have two more multi drawer tool boxes, two tool chests and one tool bag.

ship said:
There is a nice concept. I like the use of the cover for a table. At one point I had to retrofit a road case for handeling a medium/small size electric stove/oven.

As bands become more powerful (goofy) and more demanding with their riders, the traveling kitchens are growing more and more. I even saw a show on the food network or something about touring kitchens. They bring everything from refrigerators to deep fryers along on tour, all in cases. The rule was the kitchen stuff goes on the tail of the first truck, so it can come off first and be set up for the first meal.

Me, I'm lucky to get a microwave burrito or Ramen bowl on a job site.

I much prefer using a road box, although I can't use my road box at school due to space restrictions. I've got a road box that has a pull out handle and rollerblade wheels on one end. At school, I've got a soft sided tool bag, with two tool pouches as inserts. I hate how it doesn't protect anything, but it does have a shoulder strap that makes it easier to carry between the tool room/main stgae/studio/shop areas.

Depends where I'm going - for the most part I haul the bag around. When I'm out working in the field I've got my zip up CLC bag that has anything I need for basic electrical, telecom, repairing/working on computer equipment, and racking gear. I have clip on zip up bags from CLC that have "special" job kits in them. Those I have to know ahead of time - e.g. working on coax systems. When I'm at the office, it's the office toolbox, sits in the desk drawer and I tell trusted colleagues its there. I have pretty much everything I need to work on anything in a full scale datacenter in there, and I can pick it up and go with little to no notice.

The bag also fits inside my suitcase nicely and leaves ample room for enough clothing. If I'm on the road for more than a few days, my suitcase expands from carryon size to taller. Of course with the toolbag it's got to go checked luggage anyways which is a real PITA. TSA opens the damn thing every single time.

avkid said:

No offense, but that thing would get the crap beat out of it pretty quickly in a heavy use environment. I had one of the Craftsman ones, just the top part. It was nice for small stuff where I needed to take a circ saw and drill or some other small assortment of power tools. Only use I ever had for it - don't have it anymore. Those plastic handles have a tendency to break too.

I know it would not survive long if I was constantly traveling or hauling it up and down stairs, but for what I do it is more than sufficent.

Touring people are more inclined into workboxes, amongst other things, they'll hold more (especially when you start taking spare parts with you), are more organized and won't get lost so easy. If you plan it well you can make it fit in a truck pack also.
They're also much more expensive!

True but they last forever, mine was a coustome build and came in at about $900 canadian So you can see how that compares to a rolling case or whatever but all that matters is that it works for you and fits your concept and budget.

JH

I have since abandoned the MasterCart, my Craftsman bag and my 23 inch hand box.
I learned a wise lesson from an old hand, "if you're that unprepared that you need a huge box just in case, you probably shouldn't be doing the gig anyway."
I have a small briefcase with my cans, sharpies, electrical tape, a light, a few CD's and a pair of earplugs.
The electrical belt stays in the car most of the time.

Last edited:
I learned a wise lesson from an old hand, "if you're that unprepared that you need a huge box just in case, you probably shouldn't be doing the gig anyway."

True, but he probably never worked for some of the production companies I work for. Their lack of organization borders on the criminal. So it pays for me to have my tools, because their stuff is not prepped very well.

True, but he probably never worked for some of the production companies I work for. Their lack of organization borders on the criminal. So it pays for me to have my tools, because their stuff is not prepped very well.
I'm talking freelance with known and trusted providers.
If it's a festival with unknowns you can bet I have a couple of cases full of backup gear.

I have a Storm iM2750 case that has a few hundred thousand miles on it. It fits as checked baggage and either at 49.5lbs or 69lbs depending on the airline. Yes, I have the weight marked on most of the items. The airlines have given it their best and it is still in pretty good shape. One time, one of the wheels was broken off. I called the dealer and 10 minutes later I got a call from Hardigg (maker of case). They couldn't believe that it had gotten broken. They red labeled me a new complete backplate (handle and wheels) and asked that I send back the old one (prepaid) so they could look at it.

Oh yea, one last thing. Don't pack any liquids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back