What do you guys think of this system?

if I were you and could afford it, I would try to jump from teh LS9 to the M7CL. the M7 already has 48 channels, eliminating the need to buy expansions and, while you lose the custom layer, you gain DCAs. Even without having the custom layer, you have the ability to mult channels and flexibly assign inputs to various channels, so to some degree you can put things wherever you want them. the M7 also has that nifty centralogic feature, allowing you to live at the center of your console and just select a different group of 8 faders to have in front of you. It also has a touch screen which i feel is much easier to use than clicking through menus

The M7 is a massive price jump, possibly around as much as what he wants the whole system to cost in the end or more! It's got a 20K MSRP, if you didn't know...

Stick with the LS9, it runs the same kinda software and has the same model faders, if I remember correctly. The only deficiency is the touch screen, as the LS9 doesn't have it, it just has a regular screen.

Sounds like you're doing the same sort of thing (church youth rally rig) that a buddy of mine and I are doing. That said, here's what we did:

First console was a Behringer digital piece-of-crap. After a gig a year ago, we finally decided that yeah, digital is cool because of all the stuff in the one box, but there aren't enough dedicated knobs on the box .. so being analog guys at heart, we jumped off the mini digital board and rebuilt the rig analog.

Consoles, we actually ended up with a whole lot of them. GL3-16, GL4-32, 2xGA32/12, MC3204II, EPM8. All stupid good deals. FOH PA is 4xU15 over 4x Carvin double-18. Amps are Powerlights and PLXes.

Outboard consists of some 166As, a couple of Multicoms, M-one, SPX990, monitor and main graphs, Behringer DCX system processor, and the all-important CD player.

It sounds good and is very friendly to drive: no layers or any of that crap.

We've also got a monitor split and plans to use a GA32 as the monitor desk with the GL4 at FOH.

The PA is now too big for the trailer. I don't know what we're going to do when we drag out cameras and video switchgear too.

On digital consoles, by beef is chiefly with the Behringer. I've driven an LS9 before and found it to be very intuitive .. but I prefer my dedicated knobs more. I'm weird like that.

My gigs aren't so bad that I need to worry about abuse. And the few that pose that risk, the bands/whoever sign my personal contract, which goes over my policies, my time frames, my procedures, and my damaged equipment policy. "Disregard causing damage to my equipment (or currently, my churchs/friends equipment) will leave you with a fine appropriate for the damages.

On the other hand....how about a 40 ch analog from Midas? I saw something on the verona line for 20k??

Please explain your serious adversity to digital. As much as I like my analog pots and faders and submixes for bands, I really don't see how you can not go digital right now. If you have 20K kicking around, get an M7CL-48! I have said that I can argue either way, but I've argued myself out of most of my arguements recently, other than a strong multi-user environment, which you don't have.

IF going analog, my recommendation is a Soundcraft GB8-40 Tourpack or MH2-40 Tourpack. Since you don't like A&H (I would also like your reasons for this, along with your reasons for adversity to digital), I revert to Soundcraft for my recommendations, because they fall after A&H in my midrange analog desires. Now if Soundcraft still sold the Series TWO consoles, that's what'd be absolutely first on my list in the mid-range analog bracket.

Also, what've you got for Mackie? You spec'd a lot of Mackie in your original post.

Please explain your serious adversity to digital. As much as I like my analog pots and faders and submixes for bands, I really don't see how you can not go digital right now. If you have 20K kicking around, get an M7CL-48! I have said that I can argue either way, but I've argued myself out of most of my arguements recently, other than a strong multi-user environment, which you don't have.

IF going analog, my recommendation is a Soundcraft GB8-40 Tourpack or MH2-40 Tourpack. Since you don't like A&H (I would also like your reasons for this, along with your reasons for adversity to digital), I revert to Soundcraft for my recommendations, because they fall after A&H in my midrange analog desires. Now if Soundcraft still sold the Series TWO consoles, that's what'd be absolutely first on my list in the mid-range analog bracket.

Also, what've you got for Mackie? You spec'd a lot of Mackie in your original post.

It all seems a little bit back to front to me... :p

I would not get the power sequencing. Its not necessary, plus its more cabling when setting up your FOH. You have to run the sequencing control on top of possibly an extra power cable, so the console shuts down independently from the FOH rack. I have a 48 Ch midas for sale i would love to get out of the shop. It does not get used that often and we are going to go with a M7 instead since it will fit our client base much better. Have you looked into the JBL SRX700 stuff yet? It is considerably lighter in weight than their older stuff.

I wonder if he really meant power conditioning/surge suppression rather than sequencing.

Given the application, I am surprised by so much focus on the console. I think Blah's own comments regarding stereo channels, stereo return, etc, shows the potential problem with a digital console, in the markets they are considering not everyone is going to be that familiar with digital consoles and while it may be an easy transition, it may not be practical. Consider that in many of the planned uses it won't be a matter of someone having a lot of time, they may have 30 minutes to do a sound check including familiarizing themselves with the console so that can be a factor.

I have not seen many people using a CD player much anymore, might want to get an interface for everyone's iPod instead.

On the speakers, you did not note quantities so that is an obvious quesion. Beyond that, why both 15" and 18" subs and why active subs and passive mains? Might it be advantageous to have some 60 degree boxes that you can array? You might want to check out the Yorkville U15 or U15P and LS800 or LS800P subs and the QSC HPR122i or HPR152i and HPR181i subs as alternatives to the Mackies. I also think that the Hot Spots will not be accepted by many bands, but that depends somewhat on the type of music.

For the applications noted I agree on questioning the 14 wireless mic channels, I would cut back significantly and rely more on wired mics.

Why the in-ears? You may have a specific need for the church application, but would not build them into the rig as I think that most bands that use in-ears bring their own rigs.

I personally don't like not having physical faders on the EQ but that may be because I'm simply used to that.

The DriveRack PA is a good value but is very limiting on what it can accommodate, I would consider spending more money here on a unit with 3 or 4 inputs and more flexibility in routing and configuration, something that can potentially also support aux fed subs or front fills or delay fills.

Don't forget a stage snake and mic and speaker cables and for the "hired out" events, don't forget cases for all the stands, cables, mics, etc. You can build your own cables, but you'd likely be doing it just to do it, it is probably not going to save money.

Since it sounds like the intent is that this would essentially live at the church and then be used elsewhere on occasion, there are several things to consider from what happens if something gets damaged during a gig and you need it for church the next day (or the inverse, where something breaks at church and you have a another commitment coming up) to insurance coverage on the system if it is left at the church.

There are no stereo channels, and really you should not want any. Stereo channel are something that is put on less expensive boards as a way to increase channel count without actually adding more control. Now, you can marry or "link" channels together to get a stereo channel.

I respectfully disagree. The Midas Heritage 3000, Soundcraft MH4, Allen and Heath ML5000, Crest CV-20, and APB Spectra all have stereo channels. I wouldn't call them "less expensive".

However, they all have the stereo channels marketed separately from the mono inputs (32+4, etc...) as opposed to the cheap Yamahas, which include them in the channel count (MG32/14FX is really a 24-channel board)

When it came to digital consoles, my feeling was always "no way, I want those knobs all right there!". Until I spent a little time on one. Now I can't wait to get one. Advantages that immediately come to mind with say an LS9:

Better channel EQ.

Dynamics on every channel.

Linkable faders (in lieu of VCA/DCA/Group).

Aux mixes on faders with the push of a button.

Auxes individually selectable pre/post (I think).

EQ on busses.

Multiple effects built in.

Input can be patched to both layers: one for FOH and one for monitors (allows different channel EQ and dynamics on FOH and monitors).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back