What do you Shoot With?

emac

I am looking at purchasing a decent DSLR for our company. I work for an AV/Theatre events company, so we do everything from installing systems in theatres, churches ect, to corporate events, fashion shows, parties ect.

I am wondering what people are using to shoot in lowlight situations, or for theatrical shows. I need something that has good high ISO shooting, and preferably with video capabilities.

I have been looking at the Nikon D7200, but I would love to hear some other thoughts!

I currently have the Nikon D7100 (which I believe has the same sensor as the D7200) and the low light performance is adequate. The video capabilities on the D7000 series of cameras is worse than just about anything else. I'd go for mirrorless if you want good video. If you're really looking for good low light performance I would look at full frame cameras. The Sony A7 series cameras are amazing (especially the A7RIII and A7III). All that being said your lens will make a bigger difference to your pictures than the camera itself. A D7200 with a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens will take much better pictures than with the standard 18-55mm kit lens. All depends on what your budget it. There are tons of great reviews of cameras on YouTube, too that I would check out.

Oh @icewolf08 ...

I shoot a Nikon D750, but it's my own gear, not the theatre's. If you can afford it, definitely go full frame as suggested. Good glass is important, but many photographers that were spending big bucks on f2.8 glass are now happily getting away with cheaper f4 glass because sensors are getting better and you can bump the ISO without degradation of image. What's your budget?

Still rockin' my trusty Nikon D90. Saving for some 2.8 glass but with some manual tweaking I'm getting the job done without it. My biggest problem is blue shift in LED washes but that's not the camera, that's science.

Oh @icewolf08 ...

I shoot a Nikon D750, but it's my own gear, not the theatre's. If you can afford it, definitely go full frame as suggested. Good glass is important, but many photographers that were spending big bucks on f2.8 glass are now happily getting away with cheaper f4 glass because sensors are getting better and you can bump the ISO without degradation of image. What's your budget?
These days I shoot a Nikon D810 and as you mentioned, I have started using the Sigma 24-105 f/4 ART lens as my primary. I am quite happy with the image quality.

If you are going to buy a new camera and you want to be in the consumer line up, I would look at the D7500 as it is the newest in the 7X00 series. It has newer sensor technology and will outperform the D7200. If you want to stay in APS-C (DX) land but can spend some cash, the D500 will blow the 7x00 series out of the water for low light (high ISO) image quality.

Of course if you really want a low light/high ISO beast, the Sony A7rII/III are basically the best on the market. These cameras are putting traditional DSLRs to shame. They do ring in at about the same price point, but they are amazing and worth every penny.

A close second in the Mirrorless category is the Fuji X series. The X-T2 and X-H1 being their top models are pretty spiffy. I keep an X-T20 in my backpack every day, it is a great little camera that can hold up pretty well at high ISO.

Clear as mud?!

Thanks folks!

This is super helpful. I think all in, I am looking at a roughly 1200-1500 budget before my boss gets super iffy about the cost. We had SD cards, and tripods so that budget is really for a new body and a couple lenses.

Sony is probably out of the budget at the moment, but the D7500 is probably right where I will end up landing.

thanks!

I've got a canon t7i and various lenses, for production photos though I'm primarily using a 50 f1.8 and moving around as needed, works great in low light. Some day I'll go full frame to be able to shoot at a higher iso with less noise but this body works and the money has been going to glass for now.

Having fast glass will get you the best low light and quality.

Broadly, remember that larger sensors are better, and higher pixel counts worse, for low-light capability. (Smaller pixels are noisier.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back