What does this Russian lady want??

Hi folks,

I'm on tour with a Russian ballet group and the LD is trying to tell me about a specific machine she wants for next year but her English is so broken I'm not sure what it is she wants. Essentially she wants a moving water effect (for Swan Lake) but not a gobo rotator. She says that in Europe she used a small machine about the size of a bread box, perhaps with film strip style steel gobos but it was an autonomous unit, not an instrument with an accessory. Any ideas?

"You hev in United Staytes, yaes? Es very small, very nyice."

Also, any recommendations for longer lasting fog (not haze) that doesn't involve changing the environment? The dancers need it so warm on stage that we can't get fog to last more than a minute.

Thanks! Keep on keeping on.
Marv

To answer your first question maybe she is talking about this X24 X-Effects - rosco.com . We had one at my last place they work nice but we didn't cut through a wash but from the looks for it they are done some overhual on it. So maybe that?

As far as longer lasting fog. Grab C02 if you have a machine that can take it in, if not you might look into one that has the hook ups for it.

One of the older devices that created this effect was the Great American Scene Machine. I believe RDS in Japan builds them, but GAM sold/sells them in the US.

Google Image Result for http://i42.tinypic.com/2v3heo6.jpg

Probably not what she is refering to, and not a breadbox, but certainly punchier.

Not sure what the rental shops carry these days, been a while since I rented one of the GAM units, and I think it was from PRG.

Sounds like something I've seen icewolf08 use at PTC. I want to say we called it a pattern projector or something like that. If he doesn't pop up in this thread you might pm him.

I did some digging through the PTC inventory list and I did find GAM Scene Machine. Is this what you were thinking of? In the two seasons that I have worked a PTC I can't recall seeing or using it but I very well could be mistaken.

There are machines made by places like ADJ that are "water" lights. It is basically 2 glass gobos rotating but contained in one unit. The dj versions have a hard time competing with stage lights but its possible thats also what she is thinking

Amazon.com: American Dj H2O Led Water Effect Light: Musical Instruments

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's decent enough in low to dim lighting, and I have seen that model used in museum displays, but it will get washed out pretty easily. I took some video of one last year when I was trying to do a northern lights effect on a budget.

I did some digging through the PTC inventory list and I did find GAM Scene Machine. Is this what you were thinking of? In the two seasons that I have worked a PTC I can't recall seeing or using it but I very well could be mistaken.

That's the one, I think it was used for a rain effect in The Heiress. It's a pretty simple machine and it got the job done.

Tubular Ripple might be the device to which she is referring.

City Theatrical offers one in the US and they are common in the EU if I recall correctly.

The Rosco X-Effects is a MUCH better version of the same concept though, especially considering the cost of the CT unit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back