What fabric for a shadow screen?

Looking to make a 4 by 8 foot screen like the one here. What material is best for this. Just regular scrim? I just plan on backlighting it and need that silhouette apperance.
proxy.php

Cheap route - Tricot. Higher end, low sheen, more expensive - RP screen.

Cheap and dirty? 4 x 8 sounds like a simple bedsheet to me, and it already has a seam that you can throw a pipe in for weight.

What ever material you use must be flame proofed. I'd suggest Tendo Cloth. Much like spandex but inherently flame retardant.

In the picture, is that an actual person back there or is it a projection? Anyhow, they probably used RP screen. They also have a lot of money. I would probably used fireproofed muslin. Works fine and is cheap, and lasts a long time. Just pulled out some flats yesterday that are 20 years old broadway flats, still looking fine, just dusty.

bear in mind that with muslin etc. you will see a "hot spot" if the light is in line of sight with your audience, so rp screen is a good idea. You will find many on Ebay but you had best look yourself.

As has been pointed out there are a lot of options. I think I would call Rose Brand and talk with one of their sales people about it. Since they can get you everything listed above it would be interesting to discuss the pros and cons with someone who also can tell you the price for each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back