Automated Fixtures What has training come to?

Sometimes we have these arguments here at work, doesn't matter about what, and in the end my buddy Kevin will lean back and say "yes, it's all a rich tapestry now can we move on."

What someone needs to know to take a given gig is going to vary gig to gig. What will be included in a given curriculum is going to vary school to school. Some may be better for some things and not for others, that's likely at the expense of other content that they then miss. In a four year program you could spend every moment of every day being incredibly detailed about training around gear and the students degree would be diminished substantially with the release of the next year's gear.

Be thankful the person had the confidence to ask "how do you do that?" rather than tear the cover off and send your instrument to the dumpster - not everyone would.

Mostly this sounds to me like we need to be more specific when we ask someone what they know, as "lot of experience with movers" is apparently too vague. I'm not in the electrics world, but I could see the same scenario in rigging. "Experienced in Rigging" on a resume or in a quick verbal exchange won't tell you if it's Rigger or Flyman, Arena or Theatre, use of hoists or hoist maintenance. We have a true blue ETCP certification in that world and even that would only really clear up Arena or Theatre, and even then only if you ask.

Electrics has clearly become complicated enough that we can't make assumptions about a person's skillset, and that doesn't really say anything specific about what training has come to, more about what entertainment lighting has come to.

Back in the dark ages when I moved from autotransformer dimmers to two scene analog boards, I had college grads that couldn't do anything beyond change a lamp or plug. That ended their troubleshooting ability. I had no formal training but learned how to trim dimmers and replace triacs. I learned to build snakes and other useful skills. I also learned rigging and set construction. I still work with some of the same people and they are completely mystified by DMX and movers. I am still supporting their designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back