what is a draper?

len

See a couple ads lately. What is a draper?

From my expirence, I have found the title to describe a position in the Costume Shop that is responsible for cutting and fitting patterns / material into a costume. Once they are done cutting / fitting it, usually a sticher takes over from there, actually sewing whole seams, etc.. From what I have seen, only really large shops have seperate titles. Most of the places I have worked in combine the two positions into one. I hope this is helpful. I would, of course, defer to anyone with more costume expirence than myself.

~Dave

From my expirence, I have found the title to describe a position in the Costume Shop that is responsible for cutting and fitting patterns / material into a costume. Once they are done cutting / fitting it, usually a sticher takes over from there, actually sewing whole seams, etc.. From what I have seen, only really large shops have seperate titles. Most of the places I have worked in combine the two positions into one. I hope this is helpful. I would, of course, defer to anyone with more costume expirence than myself.

~Dave

I think you pretty much nailed it.
Or should I say, " You sewed that one up." ?:mrgreen:

Most costume shops have them. Also known as a cutter/draper. They are essentialy the person in charge of transferring the design of the designer into a pattern that fits the silhouette and the actor. If you think our drafting is hard, its nothing compared to pattern drafting.

Most costume shops have them. Also known as a cutter/draper. They are essentialy the person in charge of transferring the design of the designer into a pattern that fits the silhouette and the actor. If you think our drafting is hard, its nothing compared to pattern drafting.

Amen to that, Brother! As part of our tech program, we had to spend equal time in the costume and scene shops. We also had to learn to sew, use a regular pattern, transfer a pattern from a book and make the costume and finally create and construct an original costume. We also had similar projects in lighting and construction for the other side of the class, along with the usual lectures and show assignments. It was a tough class to get through,but if you did, you had a really good knowledge of most aspects of tech. It taught me that I did not want to work in a costume shop!

........... If you think our drafting is hard, its nothing compared to pattern drafting.

Bah ! Girls do it all the time, how hard can it be ?

:twisted::mrgreen::twisted:

Running real fast, oh crap! I ran towards the costume shop.......

And they'll come after you with those rulers shaped like machetes, its a scary thing.

Oh, I'd say about as hard as a one legged man winning an ass-kicking contest.

Yes, that is me behind you - you can run, but you'll never hide and you're going to have to sleep sometime...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back