What is a patchbay?

Eboy87 said:
Well, I'd love to, but most of what doesn't work is located in our two amp towers that has some power distro in it. I'm not to wild about the idea of crawling around in there with umpteen amps on and 120V 20a current swirling around me. I'll come out with Einstein's hair, or worse :)

What exactally doesn't work?

proxy.php

Don't know if this will work but i'll try it anyway.
This is supposed to be the front of the patchbay.

I know. I don't know how to make it work.

There was a topic on posting pictures at one point I thought. Could be wrong though. Anyone remember it? Search proved unsuccessful.

Actually, if you go to Image Shack, you can upload a pic, then link directly to it on the forums. I don't have the url here at school, but I'll post it when I get home.

imageshack.us

Lets try this again

this is the front

Here are a couple of the back

mbandgeek said:
I have noticed one of these on the sound equipment racks at my highschool. What does it do? I can't find anything on it anywhere on the internet.
Just like with lighting you can take any plug and route it to any channel on the board.

For instance, Plug a microphone in the floor into channel 1 located stage right, that plug is hard wired into the patch-bay. Hopefully, it is labeled. You take the patch cable and plug it into the input 1 from stage, thats your microphone. and plug it into channel 1 on the mixing board.

sorry for the long explanation, just want you the get it. I hope that I haven't confused you more.

Any chance of telling us what is on the blue labels on the top right of the front? That would probably help us work it out.

main out, aux send, aux out, master out, main out L R. the rest are blank.

mbandgeek said:
main out, aux send, aux out, master out, main out L R. the rest are blank.

Now we are getting somewhere. My guess is that your mixer outputs are coming out to those sockets. The patch leads then are likely connected to the inputs of amps or signal processing (EQ or the like). You should be able to test this, put a CD not too loud and disconnect them in turn and see what happens.

The most common form of patch bay in auditorium installations is a mic line patch bay.

It's purpose is to take all of the mic XLR plugs (typically located in floor pockets) and tie them into one place. Then the other row on the patch bay ties all of the channels of the snake to one place.

This way you can take floor pocket number 20 say - and patch it to channel one on your board/snake.

CURLS said:
Ok by now i have watched you repeatedly ask the same questions over and over again and to get nowhere. I think Andy would have to agree that you are wasting our time in asking us silly questions about something that can easily be researched for days on the internet if not just go to your local music/audio store and ask. If you are really going to be this openly absent minded about finding answers to your questions please quit what you are doing so you do not take an output of an amp plug it into your patchbay and connect that output to the input of your console. LOOK, i just explained it all over again to you. Have fun in this industry!

First off - you are only 20. You have a horrendous attitude and you have not explained very well. You have told him that a patch bay has 1/4 male plugs - IT doesn't. It has 1/4" female plugs.

Secondly - if you are using industry standard ADC patch bays... they are really not true 1/4" plugs - they are military tip 1/4" point plugs.

I am quite sure you are not working as an A1 in this industry. I am absolutely sure that if you are - the company you work for sucks.

Try being nicer and loose the attitude - or you will be finding life in this industry rough.

You DO realize this is a forum for high school kids, right?

Who do you think you are, brand new to this forum, coming out and flaming someone?

AVGuyAndy said:
You DO realize this is a forum for high school kids, right?

Who do you think you are, brand new to this forum, coming out and flaming someone?

First off - I was not talking to you. I was talking to Curlz. Second, I work in this industry professionally. I further have a doctorate in music production and accoustical engineering. So I feel I have a good bit of information to offer.

I apologize if you are offended - but Curlz was being rude and arrogant and speaking as if he is the world's gift to audio engineering - which by reading his posts - he is not.

Last edited:
AVGuyAndy said:
Where do those bundles terminate?

they terminate at the black hole of sound, Hang on i have a pic.

that is as far as i can trace them. they all go into the wall there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back