Vintage Lighting What Is It?

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Single fairly narrow looking parallel gel frame bracket (Normally at least 3/4" for wooden gel frames - this does not appear to be that wide in groove.) Wide size of the opening. No Ruby red welding type lens on the side of the light to view the arc in adjusting. I don't think it's a Olivalitte given the size, perhaps a Linnebach projector or scene machine? A lot confusing about it.

Its on a caster'd stand and I'm questioning why two wiring boxes, no switch. Photos don't show control of the carbon arc, but a wide range of (exposed) adjustment is indicated between the reflector and resistor.

Dating it from three photos hard... I'm thinking clearly pre-1916 for what was done by than, in the 1910 thru 1890's era. But what is it?

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 566
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
I'd guess Linnebach. Any (legible) writing on anything? Tried to do a Linnebach projection once with an ollivet but the filament was too big--really needed a point source.

I'd guess Linnebach. Any (legible) writing on anything? Tried to do a Linnebach projection once with an ollivet but the filament was too big--really needed a point source.

I did the concept once in taking apart some 8" cannon Leko's - and removing the reflectors. Not persay the filament but more the focal range which is a good point in this being one. This is short I think by at least a foot in that distance I was using when I did it.

If given the chance, try this again and play with the focal distance.... It's a really cool effect to have in one's design tool belt.

Legible writing will seemingly wait until I get the fixture. Hoping some computer experts on the website can de-calcium the plate on the fixture and figure out what the letters say. Otherwise once if I get it, it will be in my shop and I'm sure I can get the words identified. Long term project, less a problem of it, or paying for it... biggest problem is where to put it. Know where... best next to the carbon arc converted to incandescent Olivalittes on a stand but not my part of the shop to place it.. (long story.) Assuming two hours late in buying them, later in the week the light is still there and like $600.00 cheaper at least than I would value it as. This even if I don't know what it is for.

If I can make out the plate, it says "Macbeth Arc Lamp Co", which a little bit of Googling suggests was made for photography and other studio illumination. So, its a floodlight.

Oh' you are so cool in your special powers. Knew in posting that would be a result - thanks. Perhaps in as per a photo light, they don't need the ruby red side lens to see the arc in adjusting, it certainly explains the smaller gel frame slot for it.

Again in cool your research and thanks - but your links don't work. Still though I think worth $75.00 if bought on the company dime, even if not persay stage light.

Given the links are broken, what's its age = any indication?

Again in cool your research and thanks - but your links don't work. Still though I think worth $75.00 if bought on the company dime, even if not persay stage light.

Given the links are broken, what's its age = any indication?

Weird that the first link worked when I found it but now it wants me to register to view it. Second link works for me. The non-working link is a press release from the early 1990s.

It seems like Macbeth was a company bought and sold many times over the years that still exists today as a part of a Michigan company.
https://www.xritephoto.com/Documents/Literature/EN/L10-399_Macbeth_Lighting_History.pdf

I think the instrument you found is from the early Teens, as the Macbeth Arc Lamp Co of Pennsylvania was a precursor to the Macbeth Artificial Daylight Co. of New York founded in 1915.

Last edited:
Found a photo of a cleaner nameplate.

Attachments

• macbeth-arc-lamp-badge-700x700.jpg
    macbeth-arc-lamp-badge-700x700.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 235
agreed on as big as filament in scaling, than time to space the image in focusing from light source. Hard to do especially at an angle. Design concept though... if appropriate though.. great to do.

Finally working on the light in question Stand done in having to rust rest restore, re-tap what I could and dry lube what can slide. Kraylon dulling spray applied to take down the gloss of the otherwise paint. (Behind it, a 1909 followspot stand also working on that cleaning the brightwork for, re-tapping and a coat or Shellac was good enough for after a deep cleaning. Was able to preserve its patina.)

Working on the ballast (as they called it back than rheostat) resistance loading on the 1890-1910 carbon arc Camera Lamp / Studio Lamp (1916 term). Early research in help on this website and current research came up with similar but later models of the light. TBD Lime Away of the name plate which reads:

Camera Lamp

Direct or Alternating Current

Serial NO 6858 Type FFG

Multiple 110 Volts 25 Amps

2 In Series 220 Volts 25 Amps

Macbeth Arc Lamp Co.

Philadelphia PA

Pat. Applied For

Main rationales for sticking to pre-1910 is in slight differences to the housings, and the name plate itself different especially on amperage and earlier serial number. Also as a problem run into - some very unique swivel casters not seen before.

This fixture got dropped in a bad way.

Two of three casters had broken axils, and either I broke their cast iron mounting castings while trying to remove the seized broken wheel axils, or they were also compromised. Welding shop is looking into if possible to braze them back together or re-fabricate them some how up to and including 3D printing replacements. Option B’ is given one in-tact and two replacements I remove parts to fit in potentially re-sizing caster wheels. That or if the caster’s cannot be other than glued back together... just make a sub caster platform to carry the weight.

Interesting one coil of the rheostat is not connected for output and/or bridged to the others.

There was a broken wire on the line side re-connected, but no evidence of a connection on the third resistor for load side. (Attached at line side) Interesting also on the load side connection - it’s a dimming slider ring which will pick up the voltage of that resistor/dimmer in dialing in the amount of voltage / dimming needed dependant on actual location & voltage there. ? Could this arc light be set for DC voltage and the third resistance coil be necessary for AC voltage in dialing down to local voltage dependant on actual local AC available? Would probably be good to know before I attempt to plug it in.

All three ceramic cores to the rheostats were broken in many places. This is at least an easy fix... Just have to decide if I want like a 3M #DP605 Urethane epoxy or go full blown ceramic epoxy I use to repair lamps and sockets. The main question will be temperature rating of the 3M product - It’s mixing straw will allow me to glue the ceramic back together from between spring resistor coils. Given the spring coils are not removable and seemingly in-tact... don’t want to stress them in removal of them for a proper job of ceramic epoxy. This ceramic epoxy is like plaster in texture but quicker in drying... no chance of inserting into a syringe. Assuming the ballast only has to work once in testing & viewing what it does, I think the 3M product is the best solution as long as well cured. I have another carbon arc in collection with a double wire coil resister that has a lot of breaks in it. Impossible to fix or reproduce. This ballast wiring I think in good shape other than it’s ceramic support needs to be fixed or the coils of wire will short.

14ga Rheostat resistor wires though are about dark gray in serious oxidation - been well over a hundred years since installed. Certainly won’t leave the tested fixture on long in establishing an arch and doing photos. Anything that can be done to help restore the copper wire coils for bling with out starting a fire as they heat up? Normally my McMaster #7437k15 works on lamp sockets up to 5Kw w/o a problem and plan to use it to clean and coat, but doubt it will shine up persay the coils. Soft Scotch Brite Pad?

TBD, beyond the name plate, how that self sustaining carbon arc rod mechanism works. All ya old cabon arc follow spot op’s... since the turn of the last century, such a self sustaining arc mechanism doing your job (or not in the case of the Iroquois fire) thing has been around. To learn how such a mechanism works, and perhaps why such a mechanism fell out of favor. This light has one to study.

Yes the bottom isolation connection blocks are also asbestos. They with a heavy coat of paint are safe to be re-installed. The rest- total re-wiring in asbestos abatement, but simulating it.

Interesting, this fixture was grounded = note the third wire leading into and wired somewhat to the frame tru the asbestos block padding - bad practice. Grounding was an option for many years later, thinking this fixture was re-wired and grounded somewhere bttween the 50's and 10's. It's currently using a no brand non-Nema open faced twist lock plug 20A/250v x 10A600w ... The 12/3 ish SO cable feeding the fixture is so thoroughly rotten, it's cracked up all over the place - meaning a date of somewhere between the 50's and turn of the last century. But it worked at one point for AC or DC.. grounding says not DC? "Should work without the third coil if AC?"

Way to figure this out? Noting now, the neutral was frame grouned/bonded, so which pole if DC?

Attachments

• IMG_20180904_202753608.jpg
    IMG_20180904_202753608.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20180904_202943391.jpg
    IMG_20180904_202943391.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20180904_211126937.jpg
    IMG_20180904_211126937.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20180904_211131578.jpg
    IMG_20180904_211131578.jpg