What is meant by 'swing bars'/'swinging bars'?

Hi,
Where I am, swinging a bar would mean moving it from it's current position to a new one, either up or down stage.
The bar usually has equipment of some sort on it that distinguishes it from an empty bar, i.e. Lighting bar with outlets or a Curtain track.
Lighting bars may only be able to swing a few feet depending on cabling attached, but Curtain Track bars /Tabs etc. may be able to be swung anywhere.

It's on my schedule as 'Swing bars' ...
Is it used as a noun or verb?

Here's my hypothesis: Since a swing is an actor or tech not assigned a particular role, but able to play many or all of them, a "swing bar" would be an empty or unassigned batten, capable of being used for scenery, lighting, audio, pyro, et al. Might this definition fit?

Did it a few days ago, we untied and removed a curtain from bar 2 and moved it to the furthest downstage bar, so the first reply was almost there - rather than moving the bar, we moved what was on the bar to another.

It's a noun, as in, "help me swing bars".
Nice logic - I'm seeing it as 'swinging' the load onto another bar, which obviously isn't right!

Last edited:
In my younger days I hung out at some pretty swinging bars, but I doubt that has much relevance. Then again, you never know! ;)

When I was told to swing bars, we brought 2 lines in, one with something on it and one without. We would bring the pipes together and transfer the load from one pipe to the other and as an end result, the newly unloaded pipe would "swing" back and go out until called for later.

When I was told to swing bars, we brought 2 lines in, one with something on it and one without. We would bring the pipes together and transfer the load from one pipe to the other and as an end result, the newly unloaded pipe would "swing" back and go out until called for later.
Yup that's it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back