What is the best cable to use for stereo TRS cables?

I think pretty much anything small enough to fit into the connectors will work. Belden 5500FE comes to mind because I have some of that sitting around, but 8451 or 9451 would also work. Will these cables be installed in a rack or moved around? If you're going to move them around then 5500FE, 8/9451 won't do as well as the jacket and shield are unsuited to portable use.
Personally, I'd use CAT5, but then, I use CAT5 for everything.

I have had problems with crosstalk when using normal Twisted Pair mic cables. I found some mic wire that was 2 single leads individually shielded and wrapped together inside the outer insulation.(or 2 unbalanced lines twisted in the outer insulation) This prevents any crosstalk from happening.

I have had problems with crosstalk when using normal Twisted Pair mic cables. I found some mic wire that was 2 single leads individually shielded and wrapped together inside the outer insulation.(or 2 unbalanced lines twisted in the outer insulation) This prevents any crosstalk from happening.

It depends upon what signal the cable is conveying. If it is used for balanced audio, then you should used shielded, twisted pair. If you are running stereo, unbalanced audio through it, then what Wooferhound said applies. Crosstalk should not be an issue with cables under 10 feet, unless the input impedance is unusually high.

Thanks for the responses. LowZ1 and MusiLux both sound like regular low Z mic cable. If I resort to using mic cable, I can just use Belden 8412 or Gepco M1042 like I use for all of my mic cables.

FMEng, I am using these for unbalanced stereo audio. WooferHound, do you know what cable you found? It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Just use the cables I mentioned and clip off one of the conductors. The copper serve (spiral wrap) shield is much easier to work with.

I use several types of cable depending on the situation. I don't buy any specific cable only for mic or only for TRS. I've never had any crosstalk issues with any cable I've ever made.

If I'm doing a permanent install or making a subsnake I use West Penn 291. This where most of my bulk length ends up.West Penn Wire Corp West Penn Wire 291 22 AWG 2-Conductor Shielded Mic Cable 1000 Feet Black Bulk Audio Cable at Markertek.com

Gepco 61801EZ is great stuff for wiring up patchbays with. Much more flexible than the West Penn wire. Gepco Gepco 61801EZ Analog Audio Twisted Pair Stranded 1-Pair Cable Bulk Audio Cable at Markertek.com

Everything else I use Canare Star Quad for. I'm really partial to the Star Quad Mini. Overall outer diameter is smaller than most ready made cables. I've seen people complain that it's hard to work with but I've never had a problem soldering it or being too stiff. Canare Corporation Of America Canare L-4E5C Miniature Star-Quad (0.189in O.D.) Audio Cable Bulk Audio Cable at Markertek.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back