What is the term for this lighting effect?

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Students only for one week please.

ooh, ooh I know, I know!!!

I know what it's called, and I also know that every LD I've worked for would have hated that one. Very sloppy.

Idk for that time and era I thought it did pretty well being that it was manually done.

How many other other students are (semi-)active these days? I'm still working on my BS as I took a few years part time student-ing to to work full part time. However, most of the more active student posters I've seen/found while searching have since graduated.

I kind of liked how random the Ballyhoo (what would the plural would be? Bally-who's on first?) looked, but I can see how that might irk most LDs.

"Good for Manual." your youth is showing... :angryoldman:

For the speed that they are moving I would want more lights. For just the three, I would want a less random movement for the two outside lights and have the center fade in/iris up with the crescendo of the music. Though you gotta do what you can with what you got. Who am I to judge?

My guess is the ops were told to keep the effect in frame and had no way to know what the camera was seeing.
I can remember lots of black and white tv shows where someone would emerge from a curtain that had followspots ballyhoo and it was always a super tight shot on a fairly large stage.
So absolutely agree, the fs ops probably had no clue how wide the camera frame was.

Used to be that cameramen usually had their own cam on their monitors but sometimes if the director called for an effect , camera monitors would be switched to air (or line) so that they could see and coordinate better. Follow spot ops probably only had a monitor hanging somewhere up in the grid.

Pro/broadcast grade camera chains have -- in fact, it's one of the defining characteristics -- Return Video, usually viewable on the viewfinder at the push of a button on the zoom control handle. In some facilities it's Preview, sometimes it's Program (which is usually more useful, but not always).

Some high end chains send both back to the camera head, so you can look at PVW to set up the effect shot, and PGM to maintain it once it's on air. I've also seen it fed from a router, so the director or TD can switch it.

My real question is how did they do what looks like a glass gobo of the ”E” at 30 seconds In?

I know what it's called, and I also know that every LD I've worked for would have hated that one. Very sloppy.
Rather than "sloppy," I prefer "organic." I love the fact that it's "manual" and not machine-made. And at the end, when spots 1 & 3 peel off, leaving just spot 2 at center. Don't tell me that wasn't rehearsed a whole bunch of times before shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back