What is the term you yell if you (God forbid) drop something from the catwalk?

What do you call as a safety word for things falling?

• Total voters
I have only ever heard of "HEADS!!"

My theatre uses "heads" as a cover all for anything that is falling, unintentional or not. however, after reading all these posts and my desire to change after working with IA and outside artists, I think that that phrase should be reserved for the most serious falling objects. Not someone throwing a cut of color off the pinrail.

Similar to "Striking", another term more common on TV/movie shoots. Used to warm people nearby that a light is about to be turned on.

(Bonus points to anyone who can explain why they would use the term "striking")

Striking Lamps? Now commonly referred to as striking (initiating) an arc between two probes in an arc lamp, but was likely also widely used when carbon arc was the light source of choice.

My dad is a welder/pipefitter and they "strike arcs" also.

... I think that that phrase should be reserved for the most serious falling objects. Not someone throwing a cut of color off the pinrail.

Yeah, probably so. You wouldn't want to cause unnecessary panic and potential injuries caused by people running in to things/each other.

"HEADS!"

--gel--

"oooh, that tickled"

---

I have found that while yelling 'HEADS' is the safest bet (single syllable, universal meaning), it is often too little too late. From the time a technician recognizes that something he or she was in possession of only seconds ago is now hurdling toward the stage floor at 9.8 meters per second [squared] and thinks to yell "heads!" (Sh!.. uh...bda... HEADS!), that thing is likely already pretty close to the ground. That, and as mentioned earlier, most people tend to look up when they hear "heads!". Those that do run usually do so blindly, thus risking running directly in to the projected path of the falling object. Proper training for all involved is key.

I've never dropped anything substantial in a theatrical setting, but when I do so at home, I usually stare at it in disbelief until it hits the ground. Obviously, I have some habits to break also.

Moral of the story: If possible, never work above people's heads. Put a lanyard on your Crescent™ wrench, and connect that safety cable as soon as the clamp is hand tight. If you are footing a ladder, don't let yourself be distracted. Pay attention to what the person above you is doing, and don't allow anyone to come too close to the ladder. If you see a lift in the air, stay out from under it (remember, a lift in controlled descent can easily be drowned out by other noise and become a crushing hazard if someone is below it). Alternately, before descending on a lift, look below you and beep the horn if applicable.

Last edited:
"HEADS!"

--gel--

"oooh, that tickled"

---

I have found that while yelling 'HEADS' is the safest bet (single syllable, universal meaning), it is often too little too late. From the time a technician recognizes that something he or she was in possession of only seconds ago is now hurdling toward the stage floor at 9.8 meters per second [squared] and thinks to yell "heads!" (Sh!.. uh...bda... HEADS!), that thing is likely already pretty close to the ground. That, and as mentioned earlier, most people tend to look up when they hear "heads!". Those that do run usually do so blindly, thus risking running directly in to the projected path of the falling object. Proper training for all involved is key.

I've never dropped anything substantial in a theatrical setting, but when I do so at home, I usually stare at it in disbelief until it hits the ground. Obviously, I have some habits to break also.

Funny! I needed that...

I agree, "SH...uh..no..cr..HEADS!" is often less than helpful. Probably the best thing that you can say though in a hurry. Because "Hey Fred...look out...A (insert falling object here) is coming at you! Look out!" just doesn't quite do it in a hurry.

[off topic]I have a blue-fronted amazon parrot who likes to through things to the ground, just to watch them fall. She gets a very funny look on her face. (The Parrots)[/off topic]

Last edited:
[off topic]I have a blue-fronted amazon who likes to through things to the ground, just to watch them fall. She gets a very funny look on her face.[/off topic]

Sorry I don't get the reference. Anyways, if somebody was to drop something, I would yell something to the effect of "Get out of the way!" usually with an expletive somewhere as well. Regardless, I'm so incredibly cautious so it's never been me.

Sorry I don't get the reference. Anyways, if somebody was to drop something, I would yell something to the effect of "Get out of the way!" usually with an expletive somewhere as well. Regardless, I'm so incredibly cautious so it's never been me.

I believe that he is talking about a bird.

Yes He was talking about his bird. (In 3rd person!) I'll change the post so it makes more sense. Okay. NOW...back to falling objects and screaming people.

If I drop something from up top I shout "Heads" even if I know no one is below or around me just to be on the safe side and to make it into more of a habit. If I have any tools on me that are loose (not attached to me) I let everyone know by saying "Loose tools overhead" and wait for someone to acknowledge that before I begin using said tool.

When I'm sending something down from above I usually say "Heads up below (object) coming down" in a calm voice so as not to be confused with "HEADS!" However when I fly something in I say something along the lines of "Line set x coming in" or "1st electric coming in" to let people know it's something on the fly system.

Last edited:
Other common courtesy phrases (during set-up/strike/rehearsal) are:
Others?

If I have any tools on me that are loose (not attached to me) I let everyone know by saying "Loose tools overhead" and wait for someone to acknowledge that before I begin using said tool.

That's another that I forgot - if I can't tie a tool off when working at height*, I will call "Loose Tool Overhead". If I'm using a knife or something sharp, that becomes "Loose Knife Overhead," and the blade doesn't come out until EVERYONE is well clear of the area below and people are actively informing people not to walk near there. At school, where shackle pins and thimbles tend to be dropped from time to time, we also use "Loose Hardware Overhead" when making a point or similar.

*There are very few good reasons for not tying off hand tools to yourself when working at height. However, tying tools like routers and jigsaws to your body can impede the usage of said tool, and would likely be much more dangerous than simply letting the tool fall.

A non emergency descending of something would normally be heads up (location). Not to be confused with the tone of voice assocaited with HEADS!
Including the location of where you are planning to drop something is basically just a courtesy, but it makes it easier for people on the deck.
More than once I've called heads up just before I started reeling a cable to the deck. The net effect is very much dependant on who is on deck. A group of high school band kids seem to have more of a huh? reaction than a something might hit me on the head reaction...

That's another that I forgot - if I can't tie a tool off when working at height*, I will call "Loose Tool Overhead". If I'm using a knife or something sharp, that becomes "Loose Knife Overhead," and the blade doesn't come out until EVERYONE is well clear of the area below and people are actively informing people not to walk near there. At school, where shackle pins and thimbles tend to be dropped from time to time, we also use "Loose Hardware Overhead" when making a point or similar.

*There are very few good reasons for not tying off hand tools to yourself when working at height. However, tying tools like routers and jigsaws to your body can impede the usage of said tool, and would likely be much more dangerous than simply letting the tool fall.

Using a router whilest hanging off of a truss would suck. Just sayin.

Also, I should mention that I voted Heads as thats usually what manages to come out. However, on a 16' grid, its usually Heads F***S***GodD***itareyouok? Because basically, by the time I finish saying heads its hit someone.

For me, it's Heads Up if it is a controlled drop or a gel or something, and Heads!! if it is an emergency. (Well, that or S***F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Either one.)

"Heads!" means Move-NOW. Otherwise you'll get an explanation "Rope coming in." Flys moving always requires a call and a response. "First Electric coming in." "Thank you first." (I don't just want to know that they heard me yell, I want to know that the heard _what_ I yelled.)

In every theatre I've worked in, if you say "Heads!" people know something is about to hit the floor, if it's something lightweight from 20' off of the ground (like a loose screw falling from a light fixture) or really heavy from 40' (like a brick falling from the weight floor). If you call "fore" or "timber" or "moby dick", I may glance over for no other reason than someone is yelling something, but not with the sense of urgency I would if I heard someone calling "heads".

"Fore" could be too easily confused if someone mishears someone yelling "Circuit 4" or something like that across the theatre.

"Look out below" takes too long to roll off of the tongue. Depending on what's falling, people may have only a split second to figure out which way they have to run (or if they have to run at all), so the faster they can recognize the urgency of what's going on based on what I've said and what might be going on and the faster they can figure out what it means to them, the better.

Indeed, the man who yelled "Moby Dick!" was fired.

I've personally never heard "Look out Below" but I can imagine it has been used.

Other common courtesy phrases (during set-up/strike/rehearsal) are:

• "Going to black" before extinguishing all stage lights
  • "Strobe" before firing strobe lights
  • "Hot stab" before hot-plugging a stage light. Usually heard on TV/movie shoots where they often do not use dimmers, to warn someone that the fixture they're looking directly into may come on.
  • "Fire in the hole" before a pyro discharge.
  • "Behind you": A polite way of saying "Get the F- out of my way; I have to work where you're standing." Usually when carrying something heavy, or running or taping down cables.

Others?

"Behind You" is a phrase I've used many times. :)

The only problem I've had with "Heads" is that many times I've heard technicians call "Heads" to signify a drop coming in during rehearsal, or when someone moves an electric in or out.

I've heard "Heads" used when someone was coming down in a lift, an also when they were flying people.

That's why we have always used "Fore" as an emergency term. While "Heads" for many people can mean something flying in, when someone calls, "Fore" it means move NOW and cover your head NOW. It's an emergency only term.

We also frequently call, "Pipe (insert batten number) moving on stage!" before flying a batten in or out, and "Thank You" is an affirmative call for anything.

Using "Pipe 1 moving on stage" is quicker and understood more then when someone calls, "First Electric moving on stage". Many of the other folks in the theatre don't know what or where first electric is.

That way we can use the same term whether it's a drop or electric.

Heads. Always heads. But, if you are working at heights, your tools really ought to be clipped to you in some fashion. My C-wrench has a lanyard on it, and I am careful with any other tools I am using. Also, when you are working at heights, EVERYONE working in the vicinity must know, and preferably know WHERE above work is being done. At U.Va., we have a flashing orange strobe that sits center stage whenever folks are working on the grid 63' up. This ensures that anyone on the deck is aware of the work overhead.

We've always used a strobe sign when we're doing work up top.

It's like a "Wet Floor" style sign that folds out, but it says "Caution: Danger of Falling Items" and it has a red-orange strobe on top of it.

We've always done if there is someone working on the grid there is NO one on the ground unless they are working with the person in the grid. Our Resident LD has seen what an arbor dropped from 50' does to someones arm. (long story short an upperclassman was on a ladder with a female underclassman and the arbor dropped off the grid he stuck his arm out to block it hitting her head, Saved her head destroyed his arm).

Moral of the whole thing, If on the grid everyone should be wearing hard hats and be paying full attention to whats going on up above.

Our Resident LD has seen what an arbor dropped from 50' does to someones arm. (long story short an upperclassman was on a ladder with a female underclassman and the arbor dropped off the grid he stuck his arm out to block it hitting her head, Saved her head destroyed his arm).

Huh? I'd be surprised if someone's arm could have any effect whatsoever on a loaded arbor in free-fall, much less actually blocking it. Do you have spare arbors lying around the grid or something? Or did you mean to say stage weight or something? I'm confused. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back