What is wrong with this picture VI - part a

Mayhem

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Ok - small bit of information here. These are the inserts from a 10A 250V rated Australian inline recepticle (the female end of an extension lead).

The one on the right is a new one, straight out of the packet. The one on the left is not!

proxy.php

proxy.php

there looks to be some corresion and heat damage. Was this cable used on a 20 amp breaker with a devices that draws over ten amps? Ever exposed to water?

It appears to be that this was exposed to water. I have not actually shorted a line with water, but I have seen the damage at a science museum. It appears not as melted, but sort of scraped or chipped, wich is what I see. That explains the corrosion, right?

Before I answer this question (later in the week), take a look at my response to part b of this question.

Supercow is correct, the damage done to this recepticle was not done by water.

Now that we have excluded water damage or corrosion as the problem - what caused the damage to this socket?

very interesting, dont see that too often actually. our plugs rock!

did you do that yourself mayhem.. id be quite proud! haha

dj_illusions said:
very interesting, dont see that too often actually. our plugs rock!

did you do that yourself mayhem.. id be quite proud! haha

LOL - yes and I'll be interested to see if you can work out how I managed to melt the neutral. The lead it was on was fine and the damage was confined to the cable in the socket.

The answer can be found in the other posts within part B and one of the earlier QOTD posts.

You'll like the 10A plug pics 8O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back