What kind of ghost light do you use?

Why not purchase one and contribute to a good cause at the same time?
This one is neither goofy nor ghetto.

proxy.php

Link to Altman Rentals Ghostlight spec. sheet.

Last edited:
Two of the theatre I work in have basically homemade versions of the image above. One of the places we also have a little peg for the cable, and an inline light switch bolted to the shaft. Quite nice.

The kind that turns on.

Oh, you want to know more about it?

We just have a 5' floor lamp with a 100w bulb in it. We haven't gone green yet to the CFL's though. I figure I should say that right now before someone yells at me for wasting so much power on a 100w bulb that's specific purpose is to be turned on when no one is in the building.

We haven't gone green yet to the CFL's though.

CFL's aren't nearly as "green" as you might think. Due to the mercury in the fluorescent spiral, they can be a pain to dispose of.

On to the subject at hand, on my main stage I use a permanently installed fluorescent strip which doubles as a work light.

On my second stage though, I use nothing and whole lot of it.:twisted:

The reason for the difference in practices from one building to the other is that on my second stage you can simply hit the lights on your way into the building. On the main stage you have to walk through the darkened back stage area to get to the light switches, so we use that fluorescent strip as a ghost light.

That's why CFL's are for green-wannabes. If you want to really be green, go LED. I'm not just talking the ghost light. You're 10k and 20k TV/Film fresnels, replace them with equivalent LED's. If you don't, then someone else will do it first, and then they'll be able to say they're greener than you.

Isn't it funny how green-ness is soon acquiring the same competitiveness of those people that compete with themselves to see how much they can improve their gas mileage?

/end hijaak

That's why CFL's are for green-wannabes. If you want to really be green, go LED. I'm not just talking the ghost light. You're 10k and 20k TV/Film fresnels, replace them with equivalent LED's. If you don't, then someone else will do it first, and then they'll be able to say they're greener than you.

Isn't it funny how green-ness is soon acquiring the same competitiveness of those people that compete with themselves to see how much they can improve their gas mileage?

/end hijaak

Another excellent point :mrgreen::mrgreen:
LED ftw. They're way more expensive though...

/end hijaak

If only the technology to price ratio made that even somewhat reasonable.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hate ghostlights (the bulb-on-a-stand kind). It's just another piece of crap to keep around backstage.

I much prefer a floodlight in a catwalk or on the grid. At one venue, we use the fluorescent grid lights as a ghost light. There are (I think) 8 80w fluorescent fixtures. In the other space we leave the fluorescents on in the wings, and two 400w HID floodlights on in one of the cats. It's nice, doesn't really use a huge amound of energy. The stage (at least the one wing) is used all the time for access to an elevator, so it's used all day long.

Yes, more power consumption. But, nobody has to wheel the **** thing out every night (sometimes a problem with raked decks, etc) or find a place in a very cramped backstage to store it. We've had to store Genie lifts in the air on occasion.

My $.02.

--Sean

We use a CFL Floodlight at my college and we use 6 of the 32 Ceiling Mounted Flourescent Tubes at MVPAC.

At my school's small theatre we use a 5ft floor lamp with a CFL.

At the bigger theatre we use every single stage light on a full... :rolleyes: until all the lamps burn out, then we use our par38 worklights until they order some more lamps, then the cycle begins again. Its really not a wonder why we haven't actually used this space in over a year.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hate ghostlights (the bulb-on-a-stand kind). It's just another piece of crap to keep around backstage.

I much prefer a floodlight in a catwalk or on the grid. At one venue, we use the fluorescent grid lights as a ghost light. There are (I think) 8 80w fluorescent fixtures. In the other space we leave the fluorescents on in the wings, and two 400w HID floodlights on in one of the cats. It's nice, doesn't really use a huge amound of energy. The stage (at least the one wing) is used all the time for access to an elevator, so it's used all day long.

Yes, more power consumption. But, nobody has to wheel the **** thing out every night (sometimes a problem with raked decks, etc) or find a place in a very cramped backstage to store it. We've had to store Genie lifts in the air on occasion.

My $.02.

--Sean
Yes I have been thinking the same thing tho I much prefer the idea of a stupid lil light on a stick and wheels Ya know. It gives character but seeing as or theatre is always trying to be "more professional" I would imagine I'll end up using ^^^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back