Microphones What Mic are they using?

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
Spot a mic you can't identify? Something classic, or just unfamiliar? Post a picture or a video here, and see if the community can help ID it!

What prompted this idea for this thread was this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watching this music video tonight and I just don't recognize the mic she's using. Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited:
Yup, 441. Only sennheiser would make a mic that looks like you should speak into the side of it when it is designed to speak into the tip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The MD441 is a dynamic with a super cardioid pattern. Pattern control is unusually uniform across the frequency response. It also has a very effective internal shock mount. Great on voice and trumpet, but does almost anything competently.
Completely agree. But while the internal shock mount was great, the weak point was the clear plastic stand clips that did not stand any rough treatment found in real-life environments. I think they later produced a black clip that was less brittle. I remember gluing those clear clips regularly. I am sure we have a box of 4 of them somewhere out the back (mics and clips). My introduction to using the 441 was as a vocal mic for a band pianist back in the early 1980s. Back then the mic kit included a MD441, a MD421 and a MD416 (and some Shure 565s and 545s and AKG C451s).

I had a 441 for a while until I badly needed the money. I fully intend on buying another one soon. Stevie Nicks used it for live vocals for years. I used mine primarily on brass, it was killer on trombone. I used it on tour along with a e906 on trumpet, 421 on tenor sax, and re20 on baritone sax. Kind of hard to make those sound bad. I like to start out with good front end and then the need to hack up an EQ is really not applicable. I've also used the 441 on snare which sounded amazing but there's too much risk of getting it smacked. I agree that the clip is crap. Same as the 421; I am actually going to be ordering a couple of spare 421 clips on my next Sennheiser order. They're $25, kind of expensive for a stand adapter, but there's nothing else that can even be rigged to work (that I've found). I put a piece of tape on the part of the mic that the clip slides into. That way if the button on the clip gets pressed or fails then it can't slide out. It can still break, and it's flimsy enough to do so quite easily, but at least it won't slide out. I also taped the 441 clip but don't remember at the moment exactly how.

proxy.php

I've been wondering for the past few weeks about what mic effie trinket uses in the reaping ceremonies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pip
This microphone is from our high school. It might be original to the school. Our school opened in 1970's. I am curious if anyone can identify this mic.
(FYI, we have nice, newer ones then this)
IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_1748.JPG

Electro-Voice RE-10 or RE-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this slightly entertaining at a jazz choir concert tonight. Ch 15 is a Sennheiser e835. Ch 16 is a sm58. This is what it took to get the two to sound similar.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392260218.737458.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back