What not to do.

jonhirsh

Hey while visiting a set of a film a buddy of mine was working on, I noticed a sketchy tie in done right near a puddle of water. Which was from the rainfall leaking through the ceeling the night before.
So since I had not started a thread in a while; I felt a need to post something even if its just as stupid as this.
So here are some photos.
JH
proxy.php

Look for the vice grips holding the terminal blocks in place.....
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Was that in Toronto? Oh man...

Ouch.

They knew enough to e-tape their cam connector joints but ya... just about everything else in that picture is painful! I really hope they wernt using the black phase at some point, its just lieing there beside the panel in the first picture... so much for properly load balancing across all three phases! (well... with the sketchyness of this setup, maybe there are only two phases in the panel...)

Ever done a tie-in in Mexico...

Can't say I have seen something as crazy as that but I will say this... you would be surprised how some tie-in's are done at some clubs and older theaters.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the water hazard... It reminds me of the time my parents took the family clam digging at midnight in a hail storm with lightning! Oh for the good old days.

Wow ! I love the card board insulators ! Are vice grips a UL listed Bus device ? I hope you don't mind John, but I have got to forward those pictures to a couple of friends of mine.

Wow ! I love the card board insulators ! Are vice grips a UL listed Bus device ?

Um I love the cardboard insulators even more for two reasons:
1 - Was not there evidence of rain - wet cardboard loses [-]some[/-] all of its insulating capacity does it not?
2 - I do hope that there isn't a high resistance point or overdrawing happening. Heat + cardboard, you figure out the rest.

Also loving the strain relief. Is that what jute twine? Flammable no doubt.

Yeah. What can I say... At least they put up some hazard tape to imply that people should steer clear...

them's buss bar lugs attached in some way to a two phase home line type panel. Didn't see the Vise grips but think I know a Tweko when I see one - almost thought it was DMX cable on first glance. Now there is where one gets to the "Hard Core" Techie.... and all of us pay higher insurance premiums because of them.

Oh' oh' please, let me smack about the installer of this mess.

Oh' wait, I see them now... Oh' my garsh!

Say, what's the proper torque setting of a Vise Grip on a home line sub panel's bus bar anyway? Anyone know the resistance factor of electrostatically applied chrome coating to electrical conductivity of tool steel?

This is worse than anything that I have ever seen thru my "Code Violations" monthly photos from "CEE News". Even the panel with blue wire behind this abortion of crap is against code. So many violations, so much more info about the installer and his or her supervisors to know about...

There is professionalism such as from say the 1960's where most of use would consider what was done often scary, than there is professionalism in some installer having access to not so easy to find say buss bar clamps and using them to attach to Vise Grips... Such a person needs to be found and put out of the industry.

Well you know im not going to reveal who the elec was on this job.

but to be honest this not the worst thing i have seen. I have seen some scary things in my short carerr so far; this is bad but not the worst by far.

JH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back