What not to do

Don't assume you know, or can figure it out when you really should ask someone who does know or has figured it out before.
Don't ever think you've learned it all.
Do remember there's always more to learn.
Do educate people who know less than you do.

Don't assume you know, or can figure it out when you really should ask someone who does know or has figured it out before.

This will be the hardest for me. As a programmer it's my job to figure things out; asking someone who knows without trying your hardest first is cheating; when you've tried solving it yourself, asking for help is giving up.

But then I suppose the craft of programming is solving problems; the craft of live audio is reproducing the musicians' sound in a way that sounds good, and the systems end of that comes second to the art of actually mixing. This is probably the biggest difference between the worlds of theater and technology I've seen so far, and it's an attitude that will be difficult to break.

Ego-related advice seems to be quite common no matter the venue or question - I wonder what that says about the industry... :p

Thanks everyone. Responses still welcome!

They should really make a sequel to "Strange Brew" ya hosers...
Hey! That's our word! You got no right man. :evil:

Gee, that reminds me. I gotta go pick up a two-four at the Beer Store eh. :lol:

Never put a Neumann U87 in your pocket.

Drummers should never be allowed near the monitor mix or your proc rack. Or near power tools of any kind.

The director of the dance school WILL hand you a case of cd's (with each song on a separate cd) for his/her show. Don't bother to suggest a compiled show cd- not gonna happen. Get used to it.

When the drunk lady comes up to you at the FOH position at a concert and complains that the music is too loud for conversation, suggesting that they learn sign language will probably cause problems and involve security and missed cues.

If you don't know what that knob does, don't turn it up. If you do decide to turn it up, lie about it when things burst into flames.

If somebody asks you to change their monitor mix more than six times within the first three songs, don't actually change anything- just put your finger on the knob and pretend to turn it.

Reconcile yourself to the fact that violin players are annoying.

If the guitar player complains he can't hear his amp unless he turns it up to 11, tip the amp back so that it points at his head.

The going rate for a non-rider videographer to get an audio feed from your mixer is $250.

Whenever possible, get somebody else to lift heavy stuff so that you don't have to.

Hide your board tape.

Never use duct tape or masking tape- get real gaffer's tape. And don't leave it sitting out unsupervised or it will walk away.

Don't fall asleep at the board during a show.

Wear earplugs at concerts (disregard if you are mixing the show).

Behringer is not "just as good" as Midas.

And most important: NEVER make eye contact with Mr. Manilow.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back