What paint do you use on your stage floor?

What paint are you using

• Total voters
Thanks, @BillConnerFASTC. It's going to be quite a while before I can do it but I'm going to try the light sand and re-coat method on those spots. I will report back on how it works.

Thanks, @BillConnerFASTC. It's going to be quite a while before I can do it but I'm going to try the light sand and re-coat method on those spots. I will report back on how it works.
FYI I just looked up Plyrons recommendation and they state that you MUST use a Latex primer prior to painting. So; Sand, prime, then paint.

FYI I just looked up Plyrons recommendation and they state that you MUST use a Latex primer prior to painting. So; Sand, prime, then paint.
Well, it is coated in Rosco Tough Prime. That might be a primer.

And the Breakthorugh data says (bolding is mine):
INTERIOR WOOD: Unpainted wood or wood in poor
condition should be sanded smooth, wiped clean, and then
primed. Any knots or resinous areas must be primed before
painting. For non-bleeding or previously painted wood, no
primer is required.
Use Dulux Gripper 60000 for proper
adhesion on unpainted wood.

The primer is much about blocking stains and bleedthrough today, and much less about adhesion. The 100% acrylics - like TP and BT - are pretty good at self-priming. I think Plyron also doesn't want alkyd base coatinsg without a latex or acrylic primer.

I am looking to paint our auditorium floor. It is a hardwood floor that is very old and has many imperfections. We have used a variety of different paints but have not landed on one that sticks well to the floor and does not get torn up during the musical and dance rentals. Has anyone had luck with a specific paint that will last through our rental season?

Mod. Note: Above post moved here from another location.

Question for everybody since I haven't seen this come up before. We're replacing our deck this summer and will be laying all new tempered hardboard. I'd like to use tough prime on it, but our TD will likely just end up having us use the same interior black we always use. That made me start wondering if anybody has ever tried using a bonding primer as the first layer on a new deck and it has had any noticeable impact on the durability or adhesion of paint on a new surface.

When I did outdoor theatre, we’d prime everything in Killz. The adherence to the wood was great but getting other paint to adhere to the Killz was tough.

Just did new hardboard this summer and learned a lesson. We sealed the seams with concrete waterproofing liquid, but not the center surfaces. Gave it a base coat of our normal paint and then blue taped for the show design. Painted the design, and pulled the tape. Guess what? Where we sealed, the paint stayed. Where not, it pulled up down to the hardboard. At this point we're looking into recovery techniques. Thinking a coat of polyurethane. Grumble, grumble.

Question for everybody since I haven't seen this come up before. We're replacing our deck this summer and will be laying all new tempered hardboard. I'd like to use tough prime on it, but our TD will likely just end up having us use the same interior black we always use. That made me start wondering if anybody has ever tried using a bonding primer as the first layer on a new deck and it has had any noticeable impact on the durability or adhesion of paint on a new surface.

Yeah, we used Zissner 123, just had them tint it at the paint store. The tint was a light version of the actual stage coat, but it worked really well with Porch and Floor paint. Only touch ups I've had to do are where the hardboard gets chipped.

So I'm the prop head at the Curran Theater in San Francisco, we just finished restoring our stage floor after loading out Harry Potter. We used Rosco Tough Prime Black which comes in Egg Shell and it covered great. But I am discovering that flat surfaces are very hard to sweep dust up from. We are planning on using the Tough Prime as an under coat then putting a semi gloss down so the surface is easier to clean up, which I hadn't thought of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back