What permanent cable installs should I get to help with video flexibility

You can safely run 6 (or more) lengths of CAT 6 STP in a single 1/2" EMT run, terminating them in a single gang box with a 6 port RJ45 cover. If you are going to pull CAT6 through EMT, you might as well pull 6 runs, to have some expansion capability, such as for DMX, intercoms, or just to check your mail or ticket sales from the anti-pro positions, FOH, or the grid.

I have to agree with this. Every time we have run CAT and Fiber we have run extra, meaning more then current needs. Now looking back I should have run even more because most of those "spares" are now in use.

I'd pull SDI too. Its going to be around for a long time, it works well, and its bullet proof. Everything speaks it. SDI over cat6 works but its a pain. HD-BaseT works but its not universal.

You can safely run 6 (or more) lengths of CAT 6 STP in a single 1/2" EMT run, terminating them in a single gang box with a 6 port RJ45 cover. If you are going to pull CAT6 through EMT, you might as well pull 6 runs, to have some expansion capability, such as for DMX, intercoms, or just to check your mail or ticket sales from the anti-pro positions, FOH, or the grid.

(6) CAT6 cables, especially STP, exceeds rated conduit fill for a 1/2" conduit. You likely need 3/4" or 1" for that many CAT6 STP cables.

For 28% fill, you need a 1-1/2" for (6) shielded CAT6A.

Plus Footer's couple SDI cables, an extra 3/4".

Speaker-level and data cables should be in separate pipes with minimum 6" spacing between them.

I figured that was the case but was hopeful
@DGotlieb On the other hand, you can put darned near anything in with fiber so long as you maintain your adequate bending radius and pipe fill requirements. A few years back I was working for the AV subcontractor on a new opera ballet center being built in the center of @mikefellh 's city. Contracts had been let in stages months apart. They'd poured three basements plus were four slabs above grade with two electrical contractors and three Electrical PEng's on the project before our contract was let and we pointed out they'd omitted installing ALL of the line level conduits. All of the various conduit systems with fills, bend-radii and spacings were on the drawings but somewhere along the line one of the PEng's noticed both the mic level and line level systems were spec'd to be Belden 8451 or equivalent. Purportedly he felt one of his iron ring crowd had erred and he had all references to the line level pipes and back-boxes removed from the drawings. Once we were hired and on site it didn't take long to notice every line level pipe and back-box was MIA and we began asking questions. As the new sub-contractor at the table and with the architects plus two electrical contractors and three Electrical PEng's to wade through, we were pretty much getting back-burnered with the others presuming we just didn't comprehend the magnitude of the project and would need a little more time to get up to speed, especially as we were from Hamilton and not their big city. They just kept right on pouring walls and floor slabs WITHOUT any line level back-boxes and conduits. We made LOTS of noise at meetings and finally got through to them but back to my starting point: Fortunately they'd been fairly liberal with pipes for fibre and those fibre pipes and spacious back-boxes were what saved our bacon in the end. The electro-acoustic PEng was extremely pleased with the final outcome and gave three of us rave reviews on Meyer's site.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back