What Plug?

Hi,

This is probably the most silly thread posted on here.

I had a picture sent to me of a plug from someone who wants me to do some lighting for them.

Because of my poor eyesight, I can't tell if the plug is 5A or 15A.

I'm pretty sure it is 5A but I wanted to double check.

Thanks for your help,
Josh.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 300
Not at all a silly question, LightingTechie . In fact, one that stumped me, as I, like most Americans, have never encountered a European plug such as that. Hopefully a non-US member will be able to answer with authority.

I do believe that is a 15A "BS 546" type plug. It's hard to tell but it looks like the bigger 15A plug and not the smaller 5A plug.

If you want you can check by measuring the dimensions listed on the wikipedia page for the BS 546 plug, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_546

Thank you very much to both of you, I will see what I can do tomorrow.

Not at all a silly question, LightingTechie . In fact, one that stumped me, as I, like most Americans, have never encountered a European plug such as that. Hopefully a non-US member will be able to answer with authority.

It's a 15A connector--the standard for theatre in the UK.

In fact, before the advent of the 13A fused plug now ubiquitous in commercial and residential applications, it was the standard all over the UK.

By Code however, it only survives in the theatre today.

ST

Is that the one that UK theater adopted because it was the one or one of the only plugs over their that didn't have a built in fuse?

Sent from my HTC Liberty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back