What the heck is this thing?/Parellipshere Question

wow! that's quite the fixture. Very much looks high tech in a Dr.Who (old school) type of way.
Nope, ... no idea anything about this fixture, I was more thinking a plano-convex based Fresnel looking fixture with a lens train sticking out of it. Interesting that it has an ellipsoidal reflector type rear end shape yet it's not using one, and a much more modern zoom front end. Very strange instrument. Be very interested in reading more if you can straighten out the graphics part of the spec for it.
Seen stuff like it - believe from Colortran in if memory serves some very inefficient dual ended RSC or Mini-can, never seen something the same exact look before.
Would love to tinker with your project - you have my jelousy on this one.

I know where about 8 are near St louis if you ever want to pick up a few :)

That's it ! That's what that pIece is !!!!! It is the back lens from a Parellipsesphere. I was looking at the drawing and with the focus knob at te top and wasn't making the connection !!!! if you rotated that image about 100 degrees clockwise it would look exactly the way it does when te lens assembly is sitting in the fixture < looking at it from te front that is> I don't think it's rubber that you're seeing. If memory serves the lens housings and the lamp base holder were moulded from a "bake-o-lite" sp? type substance. Theyre sort of an orange-ish brown / raw sienna type color. Whew ! Suddenly the flood gates are open ! too many memories escaping... too many years at that theatre..... I've got to go cry now .

Well, it was kind-of a very hard rubber that was kind-of a plastic. But, maybe ours are just older or something.

Does the electro-controls have a site anymore? There are a lot on google, but they don't make lights.

The Parellipsphere we have are from EC and they seem to be the CL version. (?) Both of the lenses slide. It looks exactly like the one in DarSax's picture, but the barrel is twice as long, and we don't have any of the lamp bases.

But, now DarSax has brought up that Paralipspheres are different from Parellispheres. That just opened a huge can of woopty doo.

First off, I think that is the stupidest thing in the world.

Second, does the Parellipsphere also have the parabolic/spherical reflector? The site I copied from the internet also said that fresnels used parabolic reflectors, so I don't know how valid that information is.

Third, does the paralipsphere have all 3 shapes of reflectors? Is it Parabolic behind bulb, Spherical by the aperture, and Ellipsoidal in the middle? The site I copied also said that fresnels used parabolic reflectors, so I don't know how much I can trust it.

Fourth, so, is a Parellipsphere just a zooming Paralipsphere, or is there some other difference in something else?

Fourth, so, is a Parellipsphere just a zooming Paralipsphere, or is there some other difference in something else?

Lemme see what I can figure out today. To tell you the truth, I really don't know, we've always just assumed they were ERS. I actually don't know how accurately I'll be able to figure out what it is--they're kind of constructed like tanks, so I don't know how much I'll even be able to see the reflector.

I took apart the one at our school today. Van was right. There were some old lense things already in the parellipsphere kinda like the one I drew, but it did not have the donut, and the lense part was bigger (diameter of barrel). But, Icould see how the donut lenses could be switched.

Yay.

I have 5 working fixtures that are have been used for many productions. Bought them for $35 each. I have 2 more that are missing parts, but at least those should keep the others active for a while. They do put out a ton of heat, so if the bars are really low, then they would cause issues.
They aren't the best lights, but at $35 each, I couldn't pass it up.
Heres a link to an image of the one of them.
Here are some shot of the guts

Last edited:
I have 5 working fixtures that are have been used for many productions. Bought them for $35 each. I have 2 more that are missing parts, but at least those should keep the others active for a while. They do put out a ton of heat, so if the bars are really low, then they would cause issues.
They aren't the best lights, but at $35 each, I couldn't pass it up.
Heres a link to an image of the one of them.
Here are some shot of the guts

Not sure what your question is, but the photo you posted is of an Electro Controls Parellipsphere. Think of it as the grandfather of the Source 4 Zoom. The two knobs on the side control zoom and focus.

It kinda looks like a par can with zoom lenses attached. Interesting none the less.

Chuck it.... these babies work great. I was posting the pics because people were looking for images of the insides.

In a 99 seat theatre, with a limited budget,you can't overlook equipment that still have a useful life.

I realize we are way off topic, but I have two Parellipsheres in my "retired lighting stock."

Large, heavy, and hard to focus, but I can see how at the time it might have been considered an "Improvement."

Sorry, no picture. Don't have my camera on me.

WELL it just so happens that I now have a Parellipsphere sitting right next to me. I'll take pictures in the next few days, just so we can get more information on this mystery fixture once and for all.

Technical Data:
Parellipsphere 170 Model 7367A
by Electro Controls, Inc. / Control Lighting, Ltd.
UL Listed, Stage Type Fixture. (435 J? That mean anything to anyone?)
120V, 1kW Max

Suggested Lamps:
Sylvania EGJ, 1KW, 400HR, 3200K
GE EGM, 1KW, 2000HR, 3000K
Sylvania EGF, 750 Watt, 250HR, 3200K
GE/Sylvania EGG, 750 Watt, 2000HR, 3000K

This was "Union Made," by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.

Zoom, 24deg-36deg.

Weight: 20lbs. Four shutters, looks like integrated safety chain loop. Gobo slot. Dirty.

biggest problem I ever had with Paralipspheres was the Phenol< I believe that's the material> that was used to hold the lens and was molded into the big squareish lump that travelled up and down the slot on the side of the instrument, and was tapped to accept the focus knob threads, would break. usually from heat and over tightetning. Once they're broken there is no fixing them. Well maybe if you could find a High Temp epoxy or something.

biggest problem I ever had with Paralipspheres was the Phenol< I believe that's the material> that was used to hold the lens and was molded into the big squareish lump that travelled up and down the slot on the side of the instrument, and was tapped to accept the focus knob threads, would break. usually from heat and over tightetning. Once they're broken there is no fixing them. Well maybe if you could find a High Temp epoxy or something.

(mockingly redneck tone) ahh what u talkin' 'bout, anything can be fixed with duct tape!!

I can post more pics if anyone needs them. I posted a few on the page before this one.

Some of the lens holder are made from ceramics, some are metal.

On the lens holder, yes they can break over time, and yes they can be repaired.
You can use something similar to this

Or JB for the metal version.

If the bottom threaded part has broken into too many pieces, then you can use epoxy/JB and a short all-thread, and use a bolt and washer to make it function again. It wont have the handle, but it will still function.

I know where about 8 are near St louis if you ever want to pick up a few :)
I participated in the development of the Parellipshere. It was an attempt to capture the light that a normal ellipsoidal splashes on the gate. The backwards facing reflector (sphere in the name) sends that light back to the parabola and ellipse sections of the reflector. The image of the filament from the sphere must be close to the real filament so that the back reflector can send it correctly through the gate. If the filament is not aligned correctly, the image from the sphere will land on the filament and cause premature burn out. We measured a significant increase in lumens from the same input power when all was aligned, so it was deemed it was worth the trouble. However, not all are able or willing to align the lamp properly.
The lenses are a mixed blessing as well. They have some issues, but the variable focus was thought to enable the instrument to be used at various throw distances without having to stock pile a bunch of double plano convex lens sets if various focal lengths. I later designed versions that abandoned the variable focus set and just use the plano convex sets.

Welcome to ControlBooth @The Bear. We've discussed the Parellipshere in a number of threads around here, as well as other innovations that Ariel Davis Manufacturing Company and/or Electro Controls contributed to the industry, most of which, sadly, were unsuccessful. If so inclined, please take a moment to edit/correct our wiki entry Parellipshere among others. Glad you've found us.

... Does the electro-controls have a site anymore? There are a lot on google, but they don't make lights. ...
Nothing like answering a six year-old question from a, probably, long-lost member. But to answer the question, Electro Controls was purchased by Strand Lighting in 1986. An archive/memorial site exists at http://electrocontrolsarchive.blogspot.com/ . More in the wiki entry Electro Controls.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back