What to do with old wireless equipment?

nick_fouts

We have a ton of old wireless mic packs and receivers (Audix and Audio-Technica) ranging anywhere between 638-716 MHz, which I know we can no longer use. They have long since long since been replaced with new equipment anyways, and I know I missed the rebate period for most manufacturers.

Should I just send it all off to an electronics recycler? Is it legal to sell to other countries, or even worth it?

Too bad it is not Sennheiser (primary brand I use) ;)

As in Denmark we will still be able to use 655 - 685 MHz after our next frequenzy change.
(In my part of denmark, in others they will still have access to 638 - 693MHz depending on white-spaces in the Broadcast plan)

Not sure about shipping and eventually costums/toll, if that might ruin any usable trade.

I'd try selling them first. Ebay, Reverb or there are FaceBook pages where you might get some interest. There are still country's that can use those frequencies.

You can always recycle if you can't sell them.

The other thing to do is sell them for "parts only" on Ebay. Explain that they can no longer be used in the US and that you cannot test them. I know a group who sold a bunch of stuff that way and most fetched a half decent price. Start them at $9 and with no warranty.

You can restrict what countries bidders are allowed to bid from on eBay - it is a bit convoluted but there are guides on the help section. International shipping is also fairly easy through eBay.

I discovered both of these things when I had an international buyer win an auction even though I had stated "US Only" in the listing. That doesn't mean too much, so restricting the bidders should help keep you out of trouble.

Hi

My non profit youth theater group has the same issue with some old wireless mic systems that are not working well anymore and some that are just dead but are not in frequencies that we can not use anymore. I have held on to them for parts. Some of the Lave I have been able to use for other mics and the antennas have come in useful as well from time to time. So see if there are some parts you can hold on to. Than selling some on ebay or Facebook marketplace for parts is not a bad idea. If not able to be sold. Electronics recycling is a good idea.

Best to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back