What type of lights are used during this song?

As much as you all are on this laser kick, Im going to say Mac 3000s. Thats what I see on the circle truss above their heads, and you would be amazed how solid a 3000W lamp can look with a little bit of haze. With a quality and versatility of moving lights now, and the cost benefits of them, you very rarely see lasers on the road anymore. Last US tour of muse they played here and I cant say I saw a single laser on any of their truss.

What's a Mac 3000. I just checked Martin's website and they don't list a Mac 3000. They have the Mac 2000 (1200w) and the Mac III (1500w) but no Mac 3000 and no moving heads with a 3000w lamp. Can you provide a link to the fixture to which you are referring.

Sorry, not carbon Arc, I meant Tungsten.

Pretty sure you didn't mean tungsten either. The only moving lights that use tungsten lamps are the S4 Revolution, VL1100, VL500, Mac TW1, and other theatre/TV oriented luminaires which don't tend to be used in the rock touring world since they aren't nearly as efficient. You got the arc part right, just not the carbon part.

The transition at 1:58 from beams to liquid sky indicates that the only options are a laser or a digital light/projector. If you look at this transition I think it's pretty obvious that they're lasers with the liquid sky that follows. Emulating that is hard. Also, if you look at the green lines on the audience, you can see that they are very, very thin. And having seen DL2s and DL3s and personally used DL2s, I have to say that they wouldn't be able to do something that bright. Also, the look at 3:38 is impossible to make with anything other than video or a laser. No gobo could do that. And at 3:46 you see that one of the lasers is placed on the stage. Very point source, and it looks like a box.

If this is not lasers, I would be very interested in a product identification. My company has been researching adding high-power lasers to our offering for sometime now and this would be a fantastic offer.

With the little knowledge that I do have, to achieve bright beams like that with a laser, would be illegal in the States to scan the audience. It's something I have wish to do but can't do safely/legally.:(

The LD for Muse does use a lot of lasers especially for that song and it sure does look that thats what he used in that video. We didn't use any on the tour in the U.S. but he considered it. His console of choice is the Hog III. I'll drop him a message and see if those where lasers and what kind those where if he even remembers.

Pretty sure you didn't mean tungsten either. The only moving lights that use tungsten lamps are the S4 Revolution, VL1100, VL500, Mac TW1, and other theatre/TV oriented luminaires which don't tend to be used in the rock touring world since they aren't nearly as efficient. You got the arc part right, just not the carbon part.

Thanks...

Wee...time to be consulting those optics textbooks again.

Moving light that can do an effect like that (in theory) - Lightwave Emulator. But to hit that kind of intensity, they would need substantial modifications to the lamp source (OEM was a 150w xenon short arc).

Martin does not make a 3000w fixture, but the Mac 3s takes a 1500w lamp. They're a competitor to the Varilites and a pretty nifty fixture. The performance has an infinitely spinning framing shutter set thats a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back