What type of mic to use

len

Here's the deal:

I have 3 people to mic for a wedding ceremony indoors, all in close proximity, all facing each other in basically a triangle, about 6 feet apart. The mic can't be in between. Nor can it be suspended. Nor can I use body mics. I was thinking something along the lines of a choir mic, but I'm no sound guy. Sound will be fed into a pair of powered speakers. What type of mic would you use?

The Audio Technica U841A is an omnidirectional polar pick up mic that will do what you ask for well under $ 300.00

proxy.php

If budget is not a concern and control is desired, the Audio Technica AT854R is a quad element mic featuring individual zone control which can balance your audio if the pastors voice booms and the brides voice is shy while mixing the grooms voice to blend appropiately.

proxy.php

I think Radio Shack is comming out with a new mic, the Inviso 300xrp super-hyper-noncardiod-pressure zone shotgun tunable levitating mic
It floats where ever you put it, it's invisible, it will only pick up the people you program it to, it cancels out all background noise, auto-pitch correcting built in for those wedding singers that just aren't quite there yet. I know thier audio stuff has been hit and miss in the past but this one just might make an impact on the business. :twisted:

I'll rent this, but I just need to know what basic things to ask for. The last thing I want to do is get into sound as well, but I can manage a mic into a couple powered boxes for a ceremony.

And btw, now that I'm a technical director does that mean I can charge more?

Van, once again you save the day with a joke. And len, why yes, I believe it does. :lol: :grin:

Usually it works to just body mic the groom, if that is not possible then a boundary mic like the pcc 160. You could also try some tricks like seeing if there is a hard surface or wall that is positioned such that a boundary mic mounted to it can pick up the sound.

As I said, usually the groom is miked with an omni and it picks up all three

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back