Wireless What Wireless Do You Use?

mbenonis

Wireless Guy
Administrator
Premium Member
With all of our recent discussion about wireless mics, and the potential problems they will face, I'd like to start a thread to to get an idea of what people are actually using in their theaters. I'll start:

16 Channels of Lectrosonics Venue Wireless
- Blocks 22 - 26 (563.2 - 691.1 MHz)
- SMDa Transmitters
- Countryman B3 Elements (20x)
- Countryman E6 Elements (6x)
- DPA 4066 Elements (4x)
- Antenna: UHF LPDA ("Shark Fin"), passive (2x)
- Antenna Distro: Built into VENUE receivers (loop-through)
- Coax Cable: LMR400, 50' to each antenna
- Frequency Coordination by IAS software

What do you use?

UHF-R G1 and J5. New theatre we just started working at has ULX J1 and M1.

Numbers and elements varies with shows.

In one of our spaces we have 16 Shure SLX wireless with Shure WL 50 lav elements, as well as 4 Beta 87A and 4 SM 58 handhelds. 12 are on the H5 Frequencey set, and 4 are on J3. All use 1/2 wave antennas and antenna distrobution.

Our other space uses 22 Sennheiser SK5212 with MKE2 mic elements, and 4 MD5235 handhelds. They also use the appropriate antenna distrobution with helical antenna.

~Dave

We've got 8 Shure ULXP receivers, 8 Beta 87A Transmitters, and 8 ULX1 Bodypacks with Countryman B3 heads. These replaced 8 EV MR2000 that were about 15 years old.

I think these are in the J band.

We also have 6 of whatever the top Sony wireless offering is. I think these are in the 700Mhz band, so they'll have to go.

In the "almost trash" pile is 8 Vega 2020 systems. We don't use them and are going to replace these with 8 more Shure ULXs.

We have six channels of Comtek from the mid 90's. No idea what band; not user selectable. Doing freelance, I'm seeing a lot of Sennheiser G2 and Shure SLX.

I'll have to second all the people that are using Sennheiser gear!
The G2 stuff is all i use, Ew135 (for handhelds) and the best i can get for packs and clip on's,
~Adude~

Sennheiser.

Auditorium. UHF Band (518-554MHz).

(6) - EW500 G2 Receiver.
(4) - SKM535 G2 Handheld Transmitter.
(2) - SK 500 G2 Bodypack Transmitter.
(2) - NT 1-UK Plug-in mains unit for the ASP 1 antenna splitter.
(2) - ASP 1 antenna splitter.
(2) - A 1031-U Passive omni-directional antenna.

Sennheiser G1 at the church:
1 - SK100 w/MKE2
1 - SKP100 w/e835S
2 - EW300IEM

one in 500 megs, two in 600 megs, one IEM link in 700 megs (which will be going off the air permanently February 17).

Just finished a show Sweenety Todd use 9 Shure SLX systems 8 of the WL93 mics and one of the WL51 they sounded great and worked well as head mics

Shure LX series VHF
8 LX4 receviers with dual rack mounts
2 LX2 handhelds with SM58 mic element
8 LX1 bodypack transmitters
2 WA405 antenna distribution units
2 WA470 passive antenna splitters
2 WA380 half-wave antennas

Shure ULXS series
8 ULXS4 receivers with dual rack mount
9 ULX1 bodypack transmitters (one extra for spare)
1 ULX2/58 handheld with SM58 mic element
2 UA844US antenna distribution units
2 UA220 passive antenna splitters
2 UA820D half-wave antennas

Shure UHF-R series (these are way cool)
1 UR4D dual receiver
2 UR1 bodypacks

Lav mics
25 Shure WL93/WL93T subminiature (assorted black & tan)
6 Shure WL184 supercardioid lavs
2 Audio-Technica AT892 earsets (one black & one tan)
1 Countryman E6 earset (tan)

20 Pro Audio Accessories beltpack pouches (10 tan & 10 black)

I will gradually phase out the LX series VHF units, replacing them with the UHF-R.

Pacman,
I would highly advise AGAINST phasing out your LX series! With white space devices coming to the UHF TV band, your LX mics are going to be worth their weight in gold because they won't be subject to the same interference as your UHF mics (even the UHF-R may have a bit of trouble).

Even if you decide to buy more UHF-R, keep the LX on the shelf in working order - you won't regret it.

6x Shure UR4D
2x Shure UA870 Directional Antennae
12x Shure UR1 Bodpacks (I -think-, based on the pictures from the Shure website).

Works pretty well, we've had no interference on these, and the ability to network them and monitor everything on a computer is really handy. Especially the little warnings popping up in the corner. Makes life far easier!

For those in the world of theatre, you might care to check out the UR1M beltpacks Shure have put out not too long ago. They are compatible with UR4 receivers and other UHF-R systems. From memory they are even smaller than the baby Sennheisers and that's saying something...

Tis interesting. Down here VHF radio mics became paperweight when digital first came in a few years back. But that's a different discussion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back