What wireless should I buy right now?

Jay Ashworth

I know we've addressed this in some older threads, but time marches on.

24 channels of receiver, 24 packs, 8 handhelds

I have on the close order of 25 grand to spend, so I'm assuming analog.

I'm inclined to Senn ew300g...3? Gotta be new-stock.

Last edited:
I just selected Shure QLXD for a project. The digital modulation in UHF is unique to Shure, and I like it because it basically does away with the worries of transmitter modulation, clipping and companding artifacts. The spectral efficiency is far better than analog FM, with up to 17 systems in one TV channel, Shure offers QLXD in more bands, too, such as the duplex gap, guard band, and Part 74 (for licensed users). Unfortunately, 24 channels would cost more than $25K with the extra hand helds.

Sennheiser is a good choice for analog systems, and the cost is competitive. I probably would have gone Sennheiser if I had not been worried about enough spectrum in the particular location.

As I mentioned before, I like Audio Technica but will not buy it due to the proprietary connector. I want to use any mic I want, which is impossible with new AT systems.

Last edited:
I would probably push you towards Sennheiser EW500 or EW300, the EW100 lacks ethernet for WSM which should be a factor when getting 24ch.

I would probably say EW300, as it leaves more budget for RF distribution, antennas, mic elements, etc, and as far as I remember, they are all the same bandwidth with the same spectrum access, just less pre-defined channels on the EW300 which shouldnt matter if you are careful with your frequency selection manually.

My bet would be the EW300/500 as well (the G4 series only have 100 and 500)

Then again, I could be a bit biased from having used almost nothing else than EW500/300 for the last 9-10 years (except for a set of 8 Shure SLX with handhelds)
Usually running 16-40 channels of EW500 devided onto two bands here (able to get 35 channels running IM free for now, will change this autum to only 24-28'ish sadly due to moval of a TV channel)

I love the 50 odd QLXD we put into rental over the last 12 months. Sound great, can get over 80 channels to play nice in most areas - maybe not as big an issue in St Pete's but in NYC I can't get 24 of anything Sennheiser or Shure analog to reliably play nice.

As to AT - as both a user (rental) and manufacturer of mic elements AT's decision to go with the as yet unavailable for consumer purchase connector is more than maddening, and made me drop tthe AT systems from both rental inventory and from my recommendation list. AT will only let me buy 10 connectors a month and they want almost $30 wholesale plus shipping a piece - that adds one s***-load of cost onto an entry level lavalier or earset. If you do need any of my mics with this connector, we will build them for you if you buy the connector from AT and send them to me for an extra $10 per mic - that way the price only increase $40, not the $70 or $80 I would need if I were to get them built that way in my Chinese factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back