What would one us this for?

Do you have a link? The only thing I can think of right off hand is taking the output of a powered speaker into another amp for an unpowered speaker.

A speaker level direct box allows you to take the output of an amplifier and convert it to a line level signal, suitable for mixing. A possible use I can think of is to extract the sound of a cheap FM radio for insertion into a mix, or the sound of a PA system (AFTER the 70.7V transformer).

An FM radio you can just adapt it from the headphone jack. Where it does work well for is an output send to say, the TV Studio or someone taping an event so that they can receive a line level direct into their board to mix with any mics they have. I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't just take it out of the board though.

avkid said:
How would you go about using a Speaker level direct box and for what?

Some guitar amps and keyboard or other instrument amps may just have a SPEAKER OUT jack(no direct out)--that is what you would use the speaker-out level DI for..so you can get the signal from an amplified source to your console to mix without destroying your channel or console. Why you would use it over a mic on the amp or a DI between the guitar(or other instrument) and amp is up to you and the situation at hand...

-w

ah! That would explain why I have never used one before. I have never(luckily) encountered an amp without a line or direct out.

Yay for reducing stage noise!

Could definitely be used for wiring the orchestra when they're on stage for a play and TOO LOUD but you want that cranked guitar SOUND. Plus you get more control over the mix, so WHOOPEE!

avkid said:
ah! That would explain why I have never used one before. I have never(luckily) encountered an amp without a line or direct out.

typically its on older (or cheaper) guitar amps, and occasionally on some Leslie amps/speaker boxes where they chain the outputs to other cabinets...

-w

The last post is right. They are also used when a artist (Typically a drummer) wants to use headphones instead of a wedge or thumper. This saves you the trouble of having to run a cable and all that jazz during a set change. Pretty useless.

Why would you use a DI after the amp instead of before it?

It's a tone thing; often effects such as distortion and just the general tonality created by the circuitry in the amp (especially a tube amp) are desired in the reinforced sound, but for reasons of stage noise or other concerns, mic'ing the amp isn't the best option. So you can take the speaker level out of the amp and get the sound of the amp, rather than just the dry sound of the guitar.

It's a way of achieving a similar effect to an amp simulator like a Line 6 Pod (albeit without the cab and mic simulations) in the analog world.

Andy_Leviss said:
Why would you use a DI after the amp instead of before it?

It's a tone thing; often effects such as distortion and just the general tonality created by the circuitry in the amp (especially a tube amp) are desired in the reinforced sound, but for reasons of stage noise or other concerns, mic'ing the amp isn't the best option. So you can take the speaker level out of the amp and get the sound of the amp, rather than just the dry sound of the guitar.

It's a way of achieving a similar effect to an amp simulator like a Line 6 Pod (albeit without the cab and mic simulations) in the analog world.

Which is why I would never agree to have my guitar plugged into a DI when I played. I had a valve pre amp and a valve head, so I didn't want just the pick up output sent to FOH. It was either mic up my quad box or I'll just turn it up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back