What’s First? Mics or Makeup?

Why do ever question asked about mic's do I want to say "It Depends"? Depending on scheduling and the kind of/age group of the shows. I generally perfer that any kind of Heavy Makeup/airbrush stage makeup happens first, I'll wipe a little bit off on the cheek If i need to to get mic tape to stick, and then let them know then can reapply color or whatnot as they need to.

If they are doing Adams Family, (Fester) or Shrek, (shrek/Donkey) or other heavy makeup show I approach it 2 ways. Either they mic first, and I'll tape the head of the wig elements over, and uncover it when they are done, and/or I put them in "mic I'm willing to loose" and tell them to be careful, and contentious of it.

For a quick turnaround time on my end, I'd prefer to always mic first then have light/standard stage make up applied after. For a couple of reasons. It's better use of my time, with out the added steps of clearing off cheeks (though many times' I'll ask actors to go easy on which ever side there mic will be on and let them know they can finish it up during half-hour.) And the actors do have 30 minutes to finish makeup/dressing them selves before curtain where as I need to be finished with my preshow setup before half hour.

If Wigs are involved I like them MIc'd up first/ either over the ear or on the head before the bald cap/wigs are applied. Then I'll tape and secure/position the mic after.

NickVon, *everything* about audio starts with "it depends....." :)

Personally, anyone with heavy makeup has been sent to audio first, to get the sacrificial microphone element. This is the one that "Jonny without an h" and "Uncle Fester" have used in our productions, we designate it as the one to get messy.

For anyone with light makeup, it's generally fine to do makeup first.

Working with school age performers, it's mics first, otherwise they tend to not pick them up in time for mic check (if mic check starts at 6:15, then you need to be ready BY 6:15...). Also, We have to tape to their faces for most musicals, so I need a clear surface to tape to.

Sometimes make my own makeup caps with heat-shrink and a dead mic or something made to be the exact same size. Make the excess long, and use a noticeable colour so people will never forget they have it on.
Whenever I have people backstage for a long period I like them to put the caps on, or touching up makeup or anything of the sort. reduces the chance of getting stuff in the element.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back