What's going on?

zwhite93

I just picked up a Yamaha EM-150ii and 2 12" 3-Way passive cabs. When I run a mic or iPod into a channel, the meters on the board indicate so. However, I'm not getting anything out of my speakers. I've tried plugging them to Monitor 1, Monitor 2, Speaker 1 L, Speaker 1 R, Speaker 2 L, Speaker 2 R. I was under the impression that since my Yamaha is a powered mixer (isn't it?), I could get away with not using an amp. I'm positive that the speakers work, as I just tested them with my home theatre receiver. Any thoughts?

I've tested continuity on all of my cables and they're fine. I even went straight from iPod to speaker and it played fine.

Heres a link to my speakers: Podium Pro Audio 12" Pro Audio Speaker by OnlyFactoryDirect

Any my board: http://www.audiobar.net/viewthread.php?tid=270760

Thanks

Here is a link to the manual

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/mixers/EM150II_en_om.pdf

This is a quite old model ( the 150 was from the seventies AFAIK)

Check to see if you are getting any signal OUT on the NON AMPLIFIED outputs, you would have to plug it into an amp This will give you an idea if the front end of the mixer is working and the problem is just on the amp side
I would also try to connect an input to the AMP in connectors, this will by pass the front end and allow you to try just the amp out

These used the old 1/4 inch jacks SO it is possible given the age that the jacks are bad, you could try cleaning then or at least see if plugging and unplugging a jack makes any difference

is there ANY sound like a hum or anything or just total silence? Total silence MIGHT indicate that it is the jack

It is Also possible that the amp is blown, these older solid state units were very sensitive to the correct output impedance load as you can see from the manual

Sharyn

First, thanks for your prompt and detailed reply.

Second, I'm a moron. I made my own speaker cables. I bought stereo 1/4" plugs instead of mono. The more I thought about it, the more I knew something wasn't right.

Third, I just replaced the stereo plugs with mono plugs, and the thing works like a charm. I'm just glad I don't have to buy an amp.

I bought stereo 1/4" plugs instead of mono. The more I thought about it, the more I knew something wasn't right.

Third, I just replaced the stereo plugs with mono plugs, and the thing works like a charm. I'm just glad I don't have to buy an amp.
If you are just going from the 1/4" speaker outputs on the EM-150 to the 1/4" inputs on the speakers that should not have made any difference, with TRS or stereo jacks there would simply be nothing connected to Ring of the jacks on either end. But as long as it works with the new cables then that's what matters.

If you are just going from the 1/4" speaker outputs on the EM-150 to the 1/4" inputs on the speakers that should not have made any difference, with TRS or stereo jacks there would simply be nothing connected to Ring of the jacks on either end. But as long as it works with the new cables then that's what matters.

Unless he connected to T & R and not T & S...
It works, be happy...

Unless he connected to T & R and not T & S...
It works, be happy...
It would have to be tip and ring only with no sleeve connection or having tip and ring swapped on one end or something like that, as having either ring to ring or no connection to ring should still work. The reason I brought it up is that it might be worthwhile to verify that it was the cables and not something else that happened while trying to fix it. Trying to avoid having a situation where you think you solved the problem and then it suddenly reappears.

I didn't bridge any of the tip, ring, or sleeve. I've already re-soldered the cables with mono plugs, but I'm assuming I had the wrong combo of T/R/S. It puzzled me to start with because I tested continuity and all was fine. Its good now, but thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back