What's in Your Attic?

JD

A small pleasurable experience I thought I'd share.

Those who know me know that I was into lighting in the 60's 70s' & 80s, then retired, and then came out of retirement. I had an experience while looking for something in my attic that made me feel like a Squirrel with Alzheimer's last night. Deep in the eves, I came across a brown box. The outside was chewed by moths, silverfish, whatever. I couldn't place in my mind what might be in it. Old dishes? Christmas decorations? Had to open it. It turned out to be a full case of brand new in the box Q1000PAR64NSPs! (yes, the 4000 hour ones!) I had no recall as to how or why or when I put them up there, but there they were. The sealing tape was so dried that it fell off in my hands. The lamps however were in perfect condition and work just fine. Kind of like an early Christmas present!

We've all been in the business a long time, anybody else have this kind of pleasure?

constantly if not at work in new and interesting stuff coming thru the door or gaining my attention, finding something like you I forgot I have at home and put away at times. Ah' the joy of the toys and field. How a few PAR lamps can bring thoughts of what one can do with them or even some say green flood PAR 38 roundell lenses for a cyc from a past project years ago. Just last week we were re-organizing some long term storage and one of my assistants pulled out a box of as labeled Reel EFX II fan motors that I totally forgot existed. Bought them like eight years ago and been in storage ever since given a few of the more modern syle but a constant need for the origional style. He was working on a version II at the time and the same date we finally got our replacement motor found that box of two motors we already had.

Got this one project I at times think about. Got lots of 12v MR-16 lamps about where the writing as to what they are rubbed off. Thinking MR-16 Ball some day. Just a like 12" Dia. ball of them all right next to each other and wired in series amongst a few circuits. Sort of like a mirror ball but this is lit up by itself and would be different. Yep, some day can see various ways of doing it already. In the mean time, saved for a future day. This amonst other stuff just kind of hanging about or forgotton. Even have top and bottom hardware for stage braces just kind of hanging about in a similar way. Challenge is in not forgetting, than using what is in stock eventually before you do so.

Last edited:
I have the opposite problem. I'll search for hours looking for something I know I have and never find it. But as soon as I buy another, the first shows up. I now have THREE copies of the Backstage Handbook, as I found the one I thought I'd lost. And I know I have some Super and Trouper carbon rods someplace, but have no idea where they are.

I have the same problem derek, for the life of me i cannot find my old varistat dimmer. I may just have to build a salt water dimmer instead to use:rolleyes: Yet I do have a 200A 3 phase distro sitting in my bathroom right now b/c i ran out of space every where else.

Yeah, I pretty much have a feeling for where everything of mine is. Not because I'm that organized, but because I move so much that I put it away not long ago. Also, when you are in college and living with everything you use in one room, its much harder to lose things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back