What's next after a lighting internship?

sross01986

Recently I just completed and electrics internship with a reputable theatre company in the metro Detroit area. I tried to get into the few local summerstocks to no avail. I have been working some smaller events the past month and it's paid the bills but I am looking for something more steady. I call the union when I have nothing planned and I have not received a call back yet. I have more of a background in theatrical lighting and I am looking to expand as a technician, with concerts and event lighting. The next idea I had was to send my resume to local production companies. No one is advertising for help but I do not think sending my resume will hurt. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Are you attached to Detroit? If you want to succeed in this industry, rarely can you do it by trying to stay attached to one city. Those who do that and still make it pick a large market and try to set up shop there... such as NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, and LA. Unfortunately, your in an area that there probably is not enough work going around for the people who are there let alone enough for someone new to the game. Work is pretty hard to come by right now everywhere. Its not a great time to break into the industry. I would suggest that you cruise backstagejobs.com and artsearch and fire off a resume' in every direction that you can and see where the wind takes you.

That's good advice.

As a suggestion for doing the best you can locally (and I don't really know what the Detroit market is like) I'd say contact any road houses that present touring shows--many of these are associated with universities. They tend to hire crew for on-call work and can be a good start in pro work. Also contact local theatre companies of all levels--community, semi-pro and pro. They tend to be pretty inter-connected so you'll start to meet all the players in town. After enough freelancing you'll be in a better position to know when an actual job opening comes up, and more likely to already know the person doing the hiring.

This might land you a job, or build your resume while you apply nationally. It's cliche but true--networking is very important.

Well thanks guys for some advice. I am somewhat set in Detroit right now at least for the summer. I will be sending my information to the local road houses. I am just at a crossroads right now. Im not from the area but I thought the metro detroit area would be nice to settle down in. I'm not sure and thats what scares me. I will just keep networking and keep on trying to land these jobs, along with looking else where in the country for work.

If I were in your position, my first step would be to talk to the people you worked with in your internship. If the company is that reputable, the chances are pretty good that some of the people you worked with have connections in the area or beyond. 99 times out of 100, companies will hire based on a great review from a friend rather than a cold resume. I've gotten jobs before without even knowing of their existence or sending my resume, just because someone I had worked with recommended me to another person and they gave me a call. While I'd definitely send out resumes to everywhere you can find, be sure you also stay in touch with the contacts you've made and ask them if they know anyone looking for work.

Hey SRoss,

I hail from the lovely detroit metro area . I encourage you to follow the advice of the above posters and let your co-workers know that you are on the prowl for work. Poke around, if there is someone who you worked with that has some connections ask about shadowing or if they know of anyone that needs help.

As someone who spent a few summers in Detroit working overhire for the union(s), work REALLY slows down from June to September. Don't get too discouraged. That being said, it is very difficult to break into that union scene without a good recommendation from a brother. If you know of some members, maybe inquire how they got their start? Not all the calls are glamourous, but if you can get your foot in the door and people know you're a good worker they might call you back.

If you're looking for some specific recommendations of places to try, feel free to send me a PM.

Hey SRoss,

I hail from the lovely detroit metro area . I encourage you to follow the advice of the above posters and let your co-workers know that you are on the prowl for work. Poke around, if there is someone who you worked with that has some connections ask about shadowing or if they know of anyone that needs help.

As someone who spent a few summers in Detroit working overhire for the union(s), work REALLY slows down from June to September. Don't get too discouraged. That being said, it is very difficult to break into that union scene without a good recommendation from a brother. If you know of some members, maybe inquire how they got their start? Not all the calls are glamourous, but if you can get your foot in the door and people know you're a good worker they might call you back.

If you're looking for some specific recommendations of places to try, feel free to send me a PM.

Heard recently on the news that some former car factories are shooting movies in the spaces.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back