Automated Fixtures What's That Massive Light?

Hay all,
quick question.
I've noticed in large venues, many west end, FOH lighting is being replaced with massive moving head fixtures. I'm looking for the name of a specific light.
They are big boxy moving heads that seem to be able to do anything. They can be super wide and also very tight when needed, automated shutters, full colour range etc.
There are only ever 2 or 3 of them and mainly seems to be used in theatre rather than music gig.
I've been scrolling though all the obvious manufactures but can't see what I'm looking for. Importantly they are shaped like a box in a yoke rather than the usual rounded "Vari-light" type shape.
Any suggestions would be welcome

Cheers x

Yeah... I saw something like that in the hang of Hamilton in Chicago... from the outside they look like a mini version of a Musco outdoor flood.. Much wider face than a conventional mover.
looked to be a couple feet wide or more.
Perfect for putting up the Bat Signal I would think.
ham2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for passing on the project files @sk8rsdad , I knew they'd be somewhere. You're right, the project files say that have to be the GLP, but looking at the fixtures available on the plot, I'd swear those were the VL3500 WashFXs. That's a nice flat traditional wash lens, not a pancake LED.

Quite a few manufacturers have a fixture in that WashFX style, offering features more traditionally associated with a profile or performance style spot.

As far as OP's observation of a boxy light, a lot of PRG-supplied shows use a lot of Best Boy HPs. https://www.prg.com/en/technology/innovation/best-boy-hp

As far as Hamilton goes, the reason that doesn't look like a pancake is they had City Theatrical make some special concentric snoots for the fixtures, thus the odd appearance. They're definitely GLP's biggest pancakes in that pic, just with added accessories.

ETA: In the gear list HERE, you can see "26 City Theatrical Concentric Rings For GLP X4 XL "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back