What's the difference between a Martin MAC 500 & MAC 600 PCB

Technic_Lee

image.jpg
I have come across numerous Mac 500 & 600 PCBs in various conditions, many missing their part number sticker. So how do you tell which is which? Is there a noticeable difference? Thank you.

You Sir, have come up with a very good question...

Anyone able to chime in and help Lee out?

Got a top view of the two? That angle makes it very difficult to tell what it is at all with the exception of the 600 500 sticker.

But.. from the hip most chips have tons of markings on the main board to give you enough to aid you.

A Rev.
A Q/A Date
A Part Number
A Model Number

Now You take all that and slowly pump it into the internet and cross with calling Martin Tech you can figure it out.

But I would like to see a comparison top view of the two.

image.jpeg
The top PCB is a MAC 600, the bottom is MAC 500. Spot the difference. Is there something all 500 boards have in common and all 600s have in common? I have a box full of them in Unknownn condition. Would it matter if a 500 pcb was put into a 600 fixture to test, and vise versa? Many thanks

Good Morning

it's been a long time since I had one on my bench but if memory serves
The only difference is in the firmware.
the hardware is the same. .
Don't confuse firmware with software. The software can be updated with a MUM or other dongle.
The firmware needs a special uploader

I don't think there will be a physical difference in boards. Just from knowing a bit about electronics, a company is going to re-use board layouts for as long as possible, and if they make a change, it will be more significant (that's sometimes why you see jumper [oops] wires on PCBs). The difference will be in the chips (firmware). Unfortunately, it looks like the only socketed chips are motor drivers, so interchanging them or flipping them back and forth would be very tedious.

Can you show the back side as well? You'll really need to look for drawing numbers and revisions numbers (which will be of the boards, but not the components). I see a couple of components (they appear to be voltage regulators, but hard to tell from the photo) that are a different color, but that just may mean they are from different vendors - though you would have to compare the numbers on the component to be certain.

I'm betting the firmaware on the micro controllers are all that is different.

I don't know about intel chips, but other microcontrollers can be programmed in place. And if that's the case, you'd be better off sending the board backt oMartin to have it reprogrammed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back