What's the difference? SO vs. SJO

Does this mean that every Stagepin to Edison (NEMA 5-15) Adapter, FED is also NOT code compliant,
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

except those using a T-slot 15/20A Edison female (NEMA 5-20)?
proxy.php

Yes, although I think it would be hard to find an AHJ who would bust you for it. Separate but related, note that 520.67, while requiring non-intermateability of connectors with different ratings, specifically allows a 15A male to be plugged into a 20A T-slot female of the same voltage rating.

ST

Extra Hard Service Cord

Hello. So im looking into buying some new cable and I was wandering what exactly "Extra Hard Service Cord" was the other option I see is "Junior Hard Service Cable" Im looking on production advantage, I will buy form a local supplier but was just doing some ball park pricing. Does "Extra Hard" refer to the physical cable? Any insight is appreciated.

Im looking at 12/3 just by the way

----
I may have just answered my own question is it that "Junior" is 300v while "Hard" is 600v?

Last edited:
Re: Extra Hard Service Cord

Going by the wire coding, type S, SO, SOW and SOOW cable is Extra Hard Service Cable.

Could have an "E" in it right after the "S" also, I would tend to avoid it as plastic cable tends to melt should it touch by accident a lighting fixture in causing a short, fixture(s) going out during a show fed by it, and the destruction of that length of cable.

Also, I normally avoid... forget if CE for compliance or in general Euro cable even if SOOW. Extra Hard Service cord is suposted to have an extra amount of outer jacket insulation to the conductors. Seen many many instances especially on the larger 8/5 sizes where the twisting of the cable was not proper and that Euro style applied as if sprayed on outer jacket to the cable, was much less in thickness than it should be. This to the extent of mis-cast that you can see thru the outer jacket to what inner conductor is showing thru. In addition to this, Euro compliant cable is harder to strip and easier in an outer jacket cut to go all the way thru to the condctor.

Euro cable is applied to the twisted conductors, normal classic SO cable has an outer jacke that's pulled thru the inner conductors and has jute or other materials as filler in use to keep the cable round. Cheaper to do the Euro cable and more common these days given this. If SOOW Euro, it's at least better than SEOOW Euro compliant cable but not by much. Over ten years of some of the stuff in my inventory... sure a lot of it has lasted... just a question of being harder to properly install the plugs on, and in the case of the plastic version of the thick rubberized cable, just takes one mistake.

(Long story about surface area in contact with the heat and what happens to rubberized material verses plastic when it touches the heat. Both SE and S are rated for the same temperature, end result though, if it's burning and loosing it's dielectric strength to that surface area touching a fixture - but still round in only a small surface contact, that's a lot different than melting and the conductors also burning their way into the heat source before they short to the fixture or each other.)

SJ type cable has similar types of Euro verses domestic making, this in addition to SJT type grade that's mostly the same as SJE type cable for all intensive purposes. SJ type cable by code (and others are better on it than I,) is rated for strapping to a truss and or pipe for support. Other than that, not for cable drops or floor use, and it assumes not a class 1A theater I believe the term is, where it has to be type S / Extra Hard Service.

After that, while type S - best as SOOW is much heavier, you can consider it's service life double that of type SJOOW cabe no matter what the circumstance. Figure that into the overall cost of buying it.

Search for the specifics, but as stated in other threads junior service cable is VERY limited in use on stage. To summarize those threads, and combine with Ship, unless you are running shorter than about 3' go with extra hard service. Heck, I use it in short lengths as well as its easier to just stock one type.

I'm thinking that junior is also only rated to 300V whereas extra hard is rated to 600V. Shouldn't be an issue for you (I hope), but I wanted to throw it out there.

Hello. So im looking into buying some new cable and I was wandering what exactly "Extra Hard Service Cord" was the other option I see is "Junior Hard Service Cable" Im looking on production advantage, I will buy form a local supplier but was just doing some ball park pricing. Does "Extra Hard" refer to the physical cable? Any insight is appreciated.

A few clarifications

1. Extra Hard Usage (Hard Service) cable is 600V, designed to withstand physical abuse, and is required in almost all applictions in the theatre (see below for more). This cable is type S, SO, and derivatives.

2. Hard Usage (Junior Hard Service) cable is 300V, and only allowed in theatres for specific applications (see below). This cable is type SJ, SJO, and derivatives.

3. The only allowable uses of Hard Usage (Junior Hard Service) cable in theatres and other venues covered by NEC Article 520:

--Twofers and adapters not over 1m (3.3') in length.
--Breakout assemblies not over 20' in length supported over their entire length by a pipe, truss, tower, or other substantial support structure.

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back