What's the inspiration behind your user name?

Mine is pretty simple. I am an electrian and carpenter. So electrician + carpenter= Electrocarp.

The nickname I was known as (at least by some) when I was working off-Broadway in the late '70s and early eighties was Boomer. I came late to the CB party and Boomer was already taken so my username is my real name (well, there IS a space missing...)

So. Boomer...:

In the '70s there was an outfit in NYC called Technical Assistance Group (TAG.) Twice a year they'd rent the Entermedia Theatre for what was known as the Dance Umbrella. Week one was put-in, week two was the headliner group (the first time I worked it it was Louis Falco) and weeks 3 through 6 we had 2 companies in rotating rep each week (eight performances) and a 'breakout' person or company on Saturday mornings. We did this all with one basic plot plus specials. Needless to say, sleep was for sissies - but as a newbie in the Big Apple I didn't care. I was pretty broke and happy to have a 6-week gig.

Lighting control was two 2-scene presets with 36 dimmers each. That was stage left. Stage right was an old, ugly, dilapidated road board. It was probably auto-transformers, had metal sides, and was basically used as a flat surfaced storage area for paperwork, a large cardboard box with various rolls of tape, coffee, and donuts. Everyone figured it was long dead and we pretty much ignored it. The fly rail was also stage right - tee track with lots of pig iron stage weights.

We were in rehearsal one afternoon. The May O'Donnell Dance Company was onstage and Ms. O'Donnell was having trouble concentrating. (She was a bit rickety, very cranky, and her hearing aids were turned up to just-under-squeal.)

Did I mention I had a really great flashlight? It took 3 or 4 C or D batteries. It was really bright, had a clear lens with a nice red lens shield, an all metal body, and a strong magnet built into the on/off switch.

At any rate, I was tasked with getting some glow-tape and marking the edges of the pile of stage weights that were sticking out by the upstage crossover so none of the dancers would stub their toes.

Well, I turned on the flashlight, went over to the road board, and stuck it to some random place so I could dig around in the box of tape. There was a very loud boom followed by some banging as the flashlight hit the tee-track. Ms. O'Donnell screamed as she pulled out her hearing aids. My world temporarily halted as all eyes turned to me. I found the flashlight amongst the stage weights, sheepishly walked onstage, and gave a meager thumbs-up with one hand and held up my flashlight with the other. Is was slightly bent and had a 1/4" hole towards the back.

Thankfully, no one was hurt, and as her assistant helped Ms. McDonnell put in her hearing aids, the sound man (who was up in the balcony) yelled out "Does it still work?" Everyone laughed at the absurdity of the thought. But, to my utter amazement, it did! From then on, amongst many in the sub-community of off-Broadway electricians, I was known as Boomer.

That flashlight served me well for several more years until someone decided it should get run over by a truck. But that's another story.

Well...I do lighting design and I am a girl. I did not want to identify my self specifically because this is a very small business...and I have connections technically everywhere. BUT I wouldn't mind sharing sometime possibly! :)

AND- ive seen those t-shirts at the trade shows and several of my friends wear that say "the lighting guy" I want one that says "The lighting girl" :-D

i'm a teacher, but i don't want my real name online too much, so i'm "mister m".
even though the kids stop calling me "mister" about 2 days into the school year.

My name is a character from a book i was writing in high school...

It's my grandmother's name. It's unusual, and therefore it's unlikely I'll run into a message that "there is already a user with that name" when I join a forum.

...even though the kids stop calling me "mister" about 2 days into the school year.
I don't know why exactly, but I love the fact that I am "last name only", no mister. It's a different kind of relationship than most other teachers have with their students. I got so burned out at one point that I almost took a job teaching something else, but the thought of not having that special bond with my kids brought me back.
It's crazy that a simple thing like dropping the "mister" means so much, but it does.

Just like katharine... its my name :D
Didn't feel like using my nick names as people might not get it or think it just plain weird.
Those are: Lindo (short version of Lienemann) and Doc (cause... im a medic)

Well I just realized that I've never responded to this thread. I've always been a big fan of the tape and I've always joked with my students about the endless uses of gafftape. I love the websites and lists of crazy things people have done with gaff. My favorite use for gafftape: About 5 minutes to curtain a student who was playing a priest in a show came up to me distraught that he had lost his priest's collar for his costume. I grabbed a sheet of white paper from the printer and the roll of gaff and made him a new collar in seconds. It looked perfect and no one ever knew.

So when it was time to join CB I wanted to be "Gafftape" but it was taken. So I decided to add the "r" on the end to make it more about me the user of the tape than the tape itself. Later, I was happy to discover that nobody was else is using "Gafftaper" on the Web so I was free to use it as my universal pseudonym. Not too exciting, but there it is.

My names Andrew, I'm a dude, and I have no idea where the numbers came from. If I could lose them I probably would. but it's kinda distinctive so I dont mind to much. I made this account during a lull in a tech rehersal, and I had alot on my mind. 121 must have meant something to me then.......

My name is Kevan, my user name came from a Ben Folds Five song, "Uncle Walter". Despite the fact that I haven't listened to that band in quite a while, I have always used UncleWalter as my username on the internet since 2007, I believe.

mines mpsx, mp standing for marry poppins and sx for sound.. because one time i was setting some girls up with wireless mics so they could rehearse for some show and all the mics had dead batteries so i was like "you know what i think i got some in my pocket" so they named me marry poppins because my pocket reminded me of her purse... then we had to give my other techies names so we named the light op mclo (master cheif light up) and my assistant french guy and thats pretty self explanatory..
~Nic

Buttons started out as an inside joke between one of my friends in high school and I then once I returned to college last year I got so excited to be able to play with my buttons on the light board again not to mention that they kept coming to me to fix their computer issues >.< so Buttons I became :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back