What's the inspiration behind your user name?

Discussion in 'New Member Board' started by ruinexplorer, Feb 18, 2011.

1. babylightgoddess

babylightgoddess Member

As a freshman I became interested in lighting, assisting the current lighting head with every show, and operating the light board, and since I will probably end up his successor when he graduates, my friend deemed me the baby light goddess and the name just stuck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2. Red leader

Red leader Member

Doing a show in college I was on a spot my first year when the cue caller did a comms check by saying, "wings report in" so obviously I said "red leader standing by" and the name just stuck. No idea how I'm gonna transfer it to the new theater without sounding pretentious.

3. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Can't be too pretentious... he's dead.

4. CunningArtificer

CunningArtificer Member

Mine is more than a slight nod to Terry Pratchett, Ankh Morpork; coupled with the fact that I am often called upon to create illusions worthy of the West End, on a budget that doesn't even stretch to one shoe-string.

LilLace likes this.
  5. Diamond556

Diamond556 Member

Nothing too crazy here.
    Its my last name with a sequence of numbers behind it that I've used as a username on several websites for quite a few years now.

6. LilLace

LilLace Member

Hello fellow Techs!! My username came from my circumstances. I currently work on a college technical services staff and most of our staff are taller and stronger males. So I received the title of Little girl which then turned into Lil for short. Apparently two syllable names are too long hence Lace. Since then I have accepted my nickname and fully enjoy climbing truss and running DMX/snakes under even the smallest of stages.

7. KT the TD

KT the TD Member

My name is Caiti and I am a td and very proud of that. So kt the td popped in my head.

8. πr8qwn

πr8qwn Member

Theater Technician
    I wanted to see if I could use the symbol for "pi" on my Mac. It was challenging and still looks more like an "n". Now, I've just given you a clue along with me natal date to puzzle out the pronunciation. I'll get an Avatar photo up soon.

9. Splinter

Splinter Member

One of my idols in theatre from freshman year was an extremely talented tech and actor, and he gave me the nickname "Splinter" because, and I quote, "Kid, you are one [email protected]$$ booth tech." So thus Splinter, as in Master Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Oh, and I can also be a real pain sometimes.

That's it. that's the whole story.

10. MadADDer

MadADDer Member

Theater Technician
    I have ADD, and I'm pretty pissed off about it.

Makes waiting for cues a helluva chore, sometimes.

KT the TD likes this.
  11. πr8qwn

πr8qwn Member

Theater Technician
    I hear you MadADDer, (any chance a fan of "Black Adder"?) I manage to embroider when sitting on the board- no cross stitch or counted needlework, I have a SM friend who knits between cues, When waiting for props handoffs or FS cues I sometimes do a certain count of sit-ups or push ups depends on show and venue of course. Don't read anything more engrossing than a rehearsal report. I have missed cues that way. Its a great time to practice or teach yourself new knots or learn that ever-popular one hander bowline around the body.

12. wanderer

wanderer Member

Let's just say that my road to theatre wasn't a straight and narrow path. Still doesn't seem to be, for that matter... ;)

13. woolycd

woolycd Member

Engineer
    Like all good sea stories, this starts out ... "This is no s....."

It was a hot summer evening, late July, 1973 in north central Iowa. That was the year the drinking age in Iowa changed from 19 to 18. I was still 18 and sitting around with two of my buddies and two cases of cold PBR when we started playing a drinking game called Bull S___. Sometime during that game, the name "Wooly" was assigned to me. I don't remember any of the details of how to play this game (or much of the 70's for that matter) but the name stuck through my time in the navy and through school, some still call me Wooly to this day.

Now if you have ever seen me, you might understand how I got that name. That was just weeks before I went to boot camp and my hair was almost to my shoulders I had a full beard. I still have a full head of thick hair and full beard. Since that July evening in 1973, I can probably count the number times I've been clean shaven on less than two hands. The last time was in July of 1985 for the part of a Samuel Chase in "1776".

It wasn't until I tried to sign up for an email address that I found out someone else had already taken 'my name'. I had to change my name for an email address. After much consternation (about 3 seconds) I added my initials. And that's how I got my user name, woolycd.

14. The Gray Lady

The Gray Lady Member

My Technical Theater teacher actually chose this name for me. He was most likely going for some sort of pun since my last name is Gray. That, and when I was younger, I played a joke on one of my other teachers, pretending to be the ghost of the theater. Nothing harmful, just a few bangs from inside his office after he turned off the lights and shut the door.

15. SouthTownProd

SouthTownProd Member

I just used the name of my production company :)

16. LIGHTMOE

LIGHTMOE Member

Everyone is a "Moe." Like a Carp "Moe" or a video "Moe" so I am a LIGHTMOE!

17. Britlite

Britlite Member

Was one of the first names I came up with for my company when I decided to go out on my own and try to take over the world with 8 cheap LEDS and a 48 channel board.

18. Britlite

Britlite Member

The same name on the GIG stories are always cool!! Im Noah so that rarely happens, but I bet you get it a lot..

19. burgherandfries

burgherandfries Member

Production Manager
    Burgher - a person who is from or lives in the Pittsburgh area but does not identify as a Yinzer, homophone of the food item Burger
    And - used to connect words of the same part of speech, clauses, or sentences that are to be taken jointly
    Fries - Delicious batons of deep-fried potato, often put inside or on top of hot deli sandwiches, salads, and cheeseburgers by people from Pittsburgh

I went out for sustenance with a stage manager on a tour stop at my theater recently and she was appalled that the portions of food in Pittsburgh are so massive and that nearly everything you order has fries in it or on it. I can't imagine having it any other way.

20. Joel - Studio 52

Joel - Studio 52 Member

Audio Engineer/Business Owner
    Pretty simple; my first name and my company name.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice