What's the inspiration behind your user name?

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
On many other forums, you are required to use your given name to identify yourself. Here on Control Booth, we don't have that limitation and many of us have chosen a different monicker to identify ourselves. I was wondering, why did you choose the user name that you have? If you use your given name, is there a reason that you stayed with that as opposed to choosing something different?

I identify as ruinexplorer on many forums. The main reason, for those of you who have seen my posts or read my intro, is that my original career goal was to be an archaeologist. In particular, I specialized in civilizations as opposed to tribal or nomadic cultures. I am extremely fascinated with how people create to make a world unto themselves and how external forces help to form their decisions.

So, how about others?

True story:

Random guy:"Hey! Go get that guy...hey, dude! C'mere...we need a rigger over here!"

Me: "Rigger? What Rigger?"

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. While he's more in to dance and drama these days, this was my son at age 7.melongrab.jpg

Last edited:
My story not nearly as cool or interesting is, my nickname from high school and slowly becoming a college nickname and my first name combined.

Duck came from some duck tape that was on my shirt at the time our TD was assigning nicknames (he has issues with names). It slowly transformed into a Duck from Duck tape fixing everything which i evidently had to do.

And the other part fairly obvious.

I worked on a crew where, out of 12 tech, 5 of us were named Dave. Since I was the newbie, they tried calling me Davey. That lasted about a week. Then they used my last name (Simpson), then Simps, then DaveySimps. At that time email was just catching on (yes there was a time when it did not exist). So, I randomly used DaveySimps as my hotmail user name. Ever since then, I just sort of stuck with it.

~Dave

I remember from years back when I played StarCraft I eventually found out that 255 was not the highest value the game recognized for most variables, but 65535 was, 65536 rolled back over to 0.

Eventually I found out that most computers systems had this issue due to the way things where coded.

I've found pretty much no where that has members using the number for a handle so I stuck with it. I generally try to put my real name in my sig line, but I have never had much of a nickname that stuck.

my last name is Greenia, and I like alliteration, and gaff tape.

I kinda wish I had been one of those people that streamlined their user names across the webs....but I didn't.

~Dave, I had a similar experience with multiple "Dave"s. When I joined the union, there were quite a few of them already. So, in order to keep them all straight, each would be referred to Dave plus the initial for their last name (Dave S. for example). When I introduced myself, everyone thought that my last name started with an N, thus it was difficult for them to find me on the phone list.

Pageant of the Masters had 4 Dave's on crew this last year that I worked crew, surprisingly it went without issue.

i have been a drummer for 11 years now, so thats how you get the drummer.
i didn't like the notion of drummerBOY for confusion with the famous boy who went parumpapumpum. so I chose the more chique BOI
and my anniversary of my girlfriend, and my favorite wrestler Stone Cold(when I was younger) 316

all together you get drummerboi316.

and I use it for everything.

I don't use my real name for much of anything outside of official documents, preferring to go by my initials, C.W. At some point in elementary school, people began calling me C.Dub., a simple verbal shortening of my initials. At first I hated the nickname, but it kind of grew on me as time went by. That's where the cdub in cdub260 comes from. The 260 is part of the address of the house I grew up in.

I used to go by "Lester" on here because I once had a theatre teacher from a neighboring school who always called me that (my real name is Leslie). A few years back, I had dvsDave change it to Les, which is what I commonly go by -- but there are still those who call me Leslie.
I felt like 'Lester' had a somewhat negative connotation because, well, what rhymes with Lester?

Last edited:
I used to go by "Lester" on here because I once had a theatre teacher from a neighboring school who always called me that (my real name is Leslie). A few years back, I had DVSdave change it to Les, which is what I commonly go by -- but there are still those who call me Leslie.
I felt like 'Lester' had a somewhat negative connotation because, well, what rhymes with Lester?

Tester? I keep thinking adams family...

...I felt like 'Lester' had a somewhat negative connotation because, well, what rhymes with Lester?
Dang, there's a lot! Chester, Hester, bester, nester, quester, rester, vester, zester, wester, tester, jester, fester, pester...

And here all that time I thought your old screen-name was short for "Moe Lester." :shock:

Dang, there's a lot! Chester, Hester, bester, nester, quester, rester, vester, zester, wester, tester, jester, fester, pester...
Thank you Dr. Seuss

I have mine chausman because my name is Chase Hausman!!! And at school we have all these different log ins. for different websites as mine was hausmcha009 and I wanted mine to be the other way around. (Not to mention it is kinda weird since I always type it wrong being the first three two letter are the same.

And I like that when I type my name it gets the wiki tags under it! (Maybe I should add my name to the wiki!)

Last edited:
Thank you Dr. Seuss

I have mine chausman because my name is Chase Hausman!!! And at school we have all these different log ins. for different websites as mine was hausmcha009 and I wanted mine to be the other way around. (Not to mention it is kinda weird since I always type it wrong being the first three two letter are the same.

And I like that when I type my name it gets the wiki tags under it! (Maybe I should add my name to the wiki!)

Similar reasoning here, except ours was on our PE shirts. You had to write your first Initial (S) along with your last name (Hiben). Anyhow, it became Shiben because I forgot to put the [dot] in there. Oh well. There, yall have enough to find me on Facebook.

'cpf' is completely meaningless to most people, it's difficult to pronounce as a word in english, and it's impossible to google and get any personal results (thanks, Canadian Parents for French!). A perfect username! Of course there is a real story behind it...

This is not a username I normally use. Thespis was taken, so I went with Tex. I hate adding numbers to a username...

I have mine because when I got this account I was in the process of mastering Lxfree, the free version of Maclux pro. Since I was logging in so much time to that program, the thoughts of it where just stuck in my head. Anyway, LXplot is a shortening of Lighting Effects Plot or Light plot.

Good story, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back